Yellow tangs small tanks

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all read the post where folks go ballistic when someone shows a yellow tang in a tank they think is too small. I was just wondering if there have been any studies that have shown a decline in health or well being to a tang living in a well cared for smaller tank? Say a 20 long for example.
And no I'm not considering a tang purchase nor do I have a 20 long saltwater tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've all read the post where folks go ballistic when someone shows a yellow tang in a tank they think is too small. I was just wondering if there have been any studies that have shown a decline in health or well being to a tang living in a well cared for smaller tank? Say a 20 long for example.
And no I'm not considering a tang purchase nor do I have a 20 long saltwater tank.
I think it’s more about the amount of lr in small tanks that poses a problem. Tangs are grazing fish. If they don’t have plenty of lr to graze on, they will starve if they aren’t feed multiple times throughout the day.

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, good question would also like to know if there is anyone out there that’s still or had a lipstick tang or hippo tang in a 400 litre (about 88 gallons) reef tank it measures 4ft x 22” x 2ft ( LxWxD) successful without going bigger, I hear that the minimum tank length would have to be 6ft. It would be a shame when they reach their full size you would have to replace them again.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, good question would also like to know if there is anyone out there that’s still or had a lipstick tang or hippo tang in a 400 litre (about 88 gallons) reef tank it measures 4ft x 22” x 2ft ( LxWxD) successful without going bigger, I hear that the minimum tank length would have to be 6ft. It would be a shame when they reach their full size you would have to replace them again.
You could keep a hippo in there for awhile but it will need a bigger tank eventually because they do get pretty big

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been an ongoing debate with what's right/wrong, if it's cruel, etc. I always have found some recommendations laughable but I also use common sense. I wouldn't stuff a tang in a biocube but I've kept tangs in what most consider to small of a tank. Our fish were always well taken care of, healthy and I never stocked a tank to please anyone else. It was for our enjoyment. I believe to many people are quick to judge others when it comes to stocking a tank.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been an ongoing debate with what's right/wrong, if it's cruel, etc. I always have found some recommendations laughable but I also use common sense. I wouldn't stuff a tang in a biocube but I've kept tangs in what most consider to small of a tank. Our fish were always well taken care of, healthy and I never stocked a tank to please anyone else. It was for our enjoyment. I believe to many people are quick to judge others when it comes to stocking a tank.
Did you feed it multiple times a day? I’m pretty sure that is the scientific link to Tangs and tank sizes

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will probably get some hate on my opinion...but thats why it makes it MY OPINION lol. I have kept tangs in as small as a 55gallon tank and will eventually put one in my frag tank. I think the most important tank characteristics to keep a tang happy and healthy is flow and possibly length of a tank. Tangs are very active swimmers and grazers meaning they like to run laps around the tank and eat to replace their energy. I also find that Nori is a huge part of their diet and helps them stay healthy and less aggressive.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will probably get some hate on my opinion...but thats why it makes it MY OPINION lol. I have kept tangs in as small as a 55gallon tank and will eventually put one in my frag tank. I think the most important tank characteristics to keep a tang happy and healthy is flow and possibly length of a tank. Tangs are very active swimmers and grazers meaning they like to run laps around the tank and eat to replace their energy. I also find that Nori is a huge part of their diet and helps them stay healthy and less aggressive.
You better hide. I already hear the tang police sirens LOL

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You better hide. I already hear the tang police sirens LOL
...Tired of running from the cops lol New Year New me. Time to say what I want to say and show that the methods in the past is not necessarily the best methods in the present. Its just like how people used to say you needed 0ppm in everything to keep coral alive and happy. Well nowadays people need a little bit of nitrate and phosphate to keep corals happy and healthy. But anyways every tank is different and people can only give opinions on what has worked for them(like I just did). I keep a clown tang, yellow, naso and powder blue and a foxface Lo all together and a Purple, Vlamingi and Blonde naso togetgher. Each of those tanks have what people would say is a compatibility issue... but I can send a pic rn and prove they are fat big and healthy lol

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Tired of running from the cops lol New Year New me. Time to say what I want to say and show that the methods in the past is not necessarily the best methods in the present. Its just like how people used to say you needed 0ppm in everything to keep coral alive and happy. Well nowadays people need a little bit of nitrate and phosphate to keep corals happy and healthy. But anyways every tank is different and people can only give opinions on what has worked for them(like I just did). I keep a clown tang, yellow, naso and powder blue and a foxface Lo all together and a Purple, Vlamingi and Blonde naso togetgher. Each of those tanks have what people would say is a compatibility issue... but I can send a pic rn and prove they are fat big and healthy lol
Let’s see pics!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
serveimage

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Let’s see pics!

I got you my friend...But gotta let the fish wake up lol. Its really hard for me to pic my favorite because I have a lot of my "wishlist Tangs" in my tanks but Ill see if i can get some of them in a group photo haha

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of evidence of keeping healthy fish in small tanks. It's all about water quality. It doesn't have to be tang specific.

Google jdm (Japanese domestic market). Its the predecessor of today's monsterfishkeepers.

Examples:

Monster.jpg dream.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's plenty of evidence of keeping healthy fish in small tanks. It's all about water quality. It doesn't have to be tang specific.

Google jdm (Japanese domestic market). Its the predecessor of today's monsterfishkeepers.

Examples:

Monster.jpg dream.jpg
That market is just to keep fish alive until they are eaten.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That market is just to keep fish alive until they are eaten.

Those are people's personal tanks. It's a style of fish keeping labeled jdm after the market for obvious reasons. I dont know if im allowed to post a link from another forum, but google Tupac or too packed monsterfishkeepers you'll see what im talking about.

Forrest for the trees....

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow tang. I always wanted tangs. I have 6 now. I got a 240 gallon tank.
I have a 100 pound dog. I always wanted a 100 pound dog. I got a large fenced yard and I have a 100 pound dog.

There are horses all over the place kept in tiny mud lots. It makes the news when they are taken.

If you want to do it I am fine with that. Don't expect me to say it is okay.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back