Yellow watchman goby & tiger pistol disappeared?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering if anybody else with a paired goby/pistol shrimp has experienced this. We got a yellow watchman goby last Wednesday and put him in the tank with a tiger pistol at the same time. They hit it off within 30 min and paired. BFFs. Later that night, the shrimp took off and made a burrow with sand in one of the teeny openings of a rock near the back corner of the tank. The watchman sat in the spot where him and the shrimp would hang out all lonely for like a day since the shrimp took off. Then he also just disappeared and we haven’t seen either of them in like 3 days, not even at feeding times. My husband said he last saw the watchman near the burrow the shrimp took off to and made so I’m wondering if watchman found where the shrimp went and if they’re tucked away hidden and somehow food is flowing into where they are and we’re just not seeing them because they don’t need to come out for food. Is this normal?

swebb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a watchman goby and shrimp for 2 years now. Every so often it will disappear for 2-4 weeks, I have given up trying to find where it goes during this time. It has done this in both my 40 breeder and 120. I never see the shrimp, but it was alive when I moved my tank this summer. I hope this helps!

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, good to know I’m not the only one. We didn’t see any signs of it being eaten, nor did we have a reason to worry with tank mate compatibility so we figured they were just somewhere we couldn’t see.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back