Yellow zoa ID

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First post on r2r and my first corals! Anyone have any ideas on what these zoas are? I have an idea for the one on the left but the right is throwing me for a loop. Picked them up from an LFS and the one on the right is a bright yellow under blue filter lenses. Thanks in advance for any help and happy reefing!
20210214_231121.jpg

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can tell you. Anyone one that does is at best taking a stab in the dark. Different corals look different under different conditions and under different lighting, especially over time. The name game with ‘designer’ corals is nothing but a marketing scheme, they are meaningless in terms of identifying color morphs.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can tell you. Anyone one that does is at best taking a stab in the dark. Different corals look different under different conditions and under different lighting, especially over time. The name game with ‘designer’ corals is nothing but a marketing scheme, they are meaningless in terms of identifying color morphs.

Haha if you say so. Even those of us not very good can easily identify many common zoas in any reasonable lighting... Some on these forums are amazingly good at identifying countless morphs.

Names are great for many of us. If someone posts a some zoas i like it is a whole lot easier to google them using a name than trying to describe what they look like in a google search and hoping to find a seller.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha if you say so. Even those of us not very good can easily identify many common zoas in any reasonable lighting... Some on these forums are amazingly good at identifying countless morphs.

Names are great for many of us. If someone posts a some zoas i like it is a whole lot easier to google them using a name than trying to describe what they look like in a google search and hoping to find a seller.
These were all listed/sold as ‘eagles eyes’. Don’t tell me these aren’t meaningless.
F66D471C-B28A-4EFF-A8AB-A0DA29F7B232.jpeg
229EF53E-9CF4-4659-8DAA-76C3310F95AB.jpeg
F4EF5A80-6034-4C04-A966-17DA132CEDA4.jpeg
5CB350BB-4998-4E57-BF0C-DD5D573B483F.jpeg
E79E3340-189C-4DC7-BB35-8F117ED8EA1C.jpeg
56FCD6D7-FEDF-4D14-9F9B-FFD39187FBD8.jpeg

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These were all listed/sold as ‘eagles eyes’. Don’t tell me these aren’t meaningless.

Of course they are not meaningless. If someone labels a ford focus as a tesla on a sales ad does that mean the names are meaningless?

If i were so inclined of course i could list thousands of pictures of zoas morphs being sold with their generally accepted name. Cherrypicking a handful that "prove" your point is irrelevant.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In any case why does it bother you that names are used? I mean if i want to find rastas to buy i will google for rasta zoanthids. If you want to buy them feel free to google "zoanthid with reddish and orange and green with yellow skirt" and then scroll for awhile Nobody is stopping you from from making things harder and n yourself.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are names a gimmick sometimes. Does it make it easier to find a color that we are looking for yep. Give me a name so I can find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a flower with red and white petals. Grows in a bush form and has throwns. You mean fire and ice hybrid T rose. Nope can't use a name. It may look different in my garden or the petals may have a different look.
I'll take a name makes my life easier.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First post on r2r and my first corals! Anyone have any ideas on what these zoas are? I have an idea for the one on the left but the right is throwing me for a loop. Picked them up from an LFS and the one on the right is a bright yellow under blue filter lenses. Thanks in advance for any help and happy reefing!
20210214_231121.jpg
I wish I could tell you the names of these zoas, but I’m no expert. Either way, they’re pretty and I will be following along to see if the ones on the right can be IDed because I like them & would love to find them for my tank.
Sorry that your first post on R2R turned into bickering over whether names matter. LOL don’t let it turn you off... lots of great info here.
@footgal is a wealth of knowledge on zoas.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course they are not meaningless. If someone labels a ford focus as a tesla on a sales ad does that mean the names are meaningless?

If i were so inclined of course i could list thousands of pictures of zoas morphs being sold with their generally accepted name. Cherrypicking a handful that "prove" your point is irrelevant.
The problem with your analogy is that there is no standard, there is no Ford Focus or Tesla. And there can be no standard because what a coral looks like is too variable, too dependent on uncontrollable factors. What even constitutes an ‘eagle eye’? I’m sure you’d say a purple mouth, orange base, and a green skirt, but the problem is that depending on the conditions and lighting (especially over time), an original ‘eagle eye’ might have a blue mouth, red base, and yellow skirt (and a zoanthid that isn’t an ‘eagle eye’ can have a purple mouth, orange base, and green skirt). So, when it comes to these names, a coral is whatever someone calls it.

I guess I just don’t have any interest in buying into some naming convention that is meaningless in terms of classification (ie scientific, locale, or even color - since we’ve already established that the color of a coral is irrelevant when it comes to these names). If you want to buy into what is essentially a marketing scheme, that’s your prerogative. Its bad for the hobby, fuels coral trends, and artificially inflates prices, but it’s your prerogative.

Also, I don’t have to cherry pick anything, I could Google any named coral that’s been propagated or been in captivity for at least a couple years and come up with similar photos (the ones I posted were all on the first page).
Are names a gimmick sometimes. Does it make it easier to find a color that we are looking for yep. Give me a name so I can find what I'm looking for.

I'm looking for a flower with red and white petals. Grows in a bush form and has throwns. You mean fire and ice hybrid T rose. Nope can't use a name. It may look different in my garden or the petals may have a different look.
I'll take a name makes my life easier.
The reason that this analogy doesn’t work is because roses are intentionally bred to have certain colors and traits, there are actual standards and known dominant and recessive traits/genes, the same is not true for corals.

And the problem isn’t only that corals that are genetically identical can look wildly different, it’s that corals that are not genetically identical can look the same, and so no one knows what they actually have. This problem is compounded by people taking anything even remotely plausibly similar and calling it by and selling it as whatever name (or making up a new name, even if someone else already named it). If I’m paying some outrageous price for ‘Puckered Purple Bussy’s’ (or whatever the trendy name is this month), it better the genuine article, but due to this naming convention and the economics that drive it, it’s impossible to ever know or verify. The best you’ll ever get for the premium you pay is ‘I think it looks like ______’.

Look, I’m all for having an easy and meaningful way to classify color morphs for corals, I just don’t know that its possible to have one. The current naming convention is just too imperfect, too subjective, and too ripe for abuse to put any stock into it, and I think more and more people are starting to understand that.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with your analogy is that there is no standard, there is no Ford Focus or Tesla. And there can be no standard because what a coral looks like is too variable, too dependent on uncontrollable factors. What even constitutes an ‘eagle eye’? I’m sure you’d say a purple mouth, orange base, and a green skirt, but the problem is that depending on the conditions and lighting (especially over time), an original ‘eagle eye’ might have a blue mouth, red base, and yellow skirt (and a zoanthid that isn’t an ‘eagle eye’ can have a purple mouth, orange base, and green skirt). So, when it comes to these names, a coral is whatever someone calls it.

I guess I just don’t have any interest in buying into some naming convention that is meaningless in terms of classification (ie scientific, locale, or even color - since we’ve already established that the color of a coral is irrelevant when it comes to these names). If you want to buy into what is essentially a marketing scheme, that’s your prerogative. Its bad for the hobby, fuels coral trends, and artificially inflates prices, but it’s your prerogative.

Also, I don’t have to cherry pick anything, I could Google any named coral that’s been propagated or been in captivity for at least a couple years and come up with similar photos (the ones I posted were all on the first page).

The reason that this analogy doesn’t work is because roses are intentionally bred to have certain colors and traits, there are actual standards and known dominant and recessive traits/genes, the same is not true for corals.

And the problem isn’t only that corals that are genetically identical can look wildly different, it’s that corals that are not genetically identical can look the same, and so no one knows what they actually have. This problem is compounded by people taking anything even remotely plausibly similar and calling it by and selling it as whatever name (or making up a new name, even if someone else already named it). If I’m paying some outrageous price for ‘Puckered Purple Bussy’s’ (or whatever the trendy name is this month), it better the genuine article, but due to this naming convention and the economics that drive it, it’s impossible to ever know or verify. The best you’ll ever get for the premium you pay is ‘I think it looks like ______’.

Look, I’m all for having an easy and meaningful way to classify color morphs for corals, I just don’t know that its possible to have one. The current naming convention is just too imperfect, too subjective, and too ripe for abuse to put any stock into it, and I think more and more people are starting to understand that.
Okay buddy why don’t you calm down? It’s very standard practice to name zoas and there are VERY strict standards, especially when you get towards the higher end range of zoas. Utter chaos are utter chaos, I could look at an utter chaos that’s been in the dark for 6 months and still tell you it’s an utter chaos. It’s fine that you think naming corals is stupid, but please don’t slam other people for trying to learn.

And just BTW, the last three “eagle eyes” pictures you posted are blowpop, cheesehead, and whammin watermelon. Please educate yourself before trying to slam people. To me, coral names are just for identification purposes; I don’t really understand why people would have an issue with that. It’s like instead of saying I have a blue and yellow zoa, I can say I have Blue Hornet. The person immediately knows what I’m talking about or they can easily find the exact one on google.

anyway, OP, i think the ones on the left are Kedds Reds. The ones on the right are more difficult due to a lack of pattern in the photo. Try looking up an Inception and see if that matches :)

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay buddy why don’t you calm down? It’s very standard practice to name zoas and there are VERY strict standards, especially when you get towards the higher end range of zoas. Utter chaos are utter chaos, I could look at an utter chaos that’s been in the dark for 6 months and still tell you it’s an utter chaos. It’s fine that you think naming corals is stupid, but please don’t slam other people for trying to learn.

And just BTW, the last three “eagle eyes” pictures you posted are blowpop, cheesehead, and whammin watermelon. Please educate yourself before trying to slam people. To me, coral names are just for identification purposes; I don’t really understand why people would have an issue with that. It’s like instead of saying I have a blue and yellow zoa, I can say I have Blue Hornet. The person immediately knows what I’m talking about or they can easily find the exact one on google.

anyway, OP, i think the ones on the left are Kedds Reds. The ones on the right are more difficult due to a lack of pattern in the photo. Try looking up an Inception and see if that matches :)
Again, that’s the point, they are listed/marketed/sold/mislabeled/mistaken-for/whatever-you-want-to-call-it as ‘eagle eyes’. I understand your point about using names to make identification easier. My point is that these names are meaningless in terms of identification because there is no standard. When you talk about dog breeds, or rose hybrids, or even koi or clownfish, there are standards by which they are classified. No such thing exists for corals, and its arguable that it’s not even possible to establish such standards. What constitutes an ‘eagle eye’ (or whatever). You say it’s one thing, and someone else says it’s something else, and another person says it’s neither of those things (and we can see evidence of that with a simple google search).

And that’s not even getting into the marketing aspect of these names. I have been in this hobby for over twenty years, and I can see the negative effect ‘designer’ corals and the name game have on the hobby. This entire naming convention (much like strains of cannabis) is a product of the trendy coral gold rush that has taken over the hobby over the last decade. I think it is harmful to a hobby I’m passionate about, so I’m sorry, I won’t ‘calm down’ (because I guess writing a couple paragraphs means you’re not calm). Just like you’re free to promote and participate in the name game, I can point out that its a meaningless construct that’s harmful to the hobby. I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Driceftw

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In case anyone was wondering I did get an ID on them. These were recently sold by ECC as Sunflower Palys, but they are probably more commonly known as Emerald Mauls. There are many types out there with a standard to uphold with their name by the way, most will tell you that OG purple hornets must have an alternating lash with a thin ring around the center making it much more different than LA laker which is also a yellow and purple zoa.
20210310_172952.jpg

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgous
In case anyone was wondering I did get an ID on them. These were recently sold by ECC as Sunflower Palys, but they are probably more commonly known as Emerald Mauls. There are many types out there with a standard to uphold with their name by the way, most will tell you that OG purple hornets must have an alternating lash with a thin ring around the center making it much more different than LA laker which is also a yellow and purple zoa.
20210310_172952.jpg
Gorgous

Back