Yellowtail Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides)

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Actually just realized that this thread was about the yellowtail, A meleagrides not the yellow streaked A femininus.
The yellowtail is the most reasonable of the tamarin wrasse. It is still a very difficult fish but doable. I would only get one that looks healthy and is eating at an LFS but I have one and it is doing well.
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3120.jpeg
Is the Yellowtail Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) safe with corals and inverts? I saw one of these at my LFS today and it ate frozen. I wanted to buy it, but the store owner and one of the staff both said they aren’t really reef safe and would eat inverts. I read on LiveAquaria that they’re reef safe, though. What’s been your experience?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Yellowtail Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) safe with corals and inverts? I saw one of these at my LFS today and it ate frozen. I wanted to buy it, but the store owner and one of the staff both said they aren’t really reef safe and would eat inverts. I read on LiveAquaria that they’re reef safe, though. What’s been your experience?
Yes they are definitely reef safe. Will eat copepods and other tiny inverts all day long but I highly doubt it would eat anything much bigger.

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I respectfully disgree. I have a blue dot, a yellow tail and a white tail. They are reef safe with everything when small, but they do grow larger than Leopards and although they are fine with coral, anything with legs are on the menu…I don’t keep any hermits or shrimps.….can’t get a good pic of the white
IMG_3306.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I respectfully disgree. I have a blue dot, a yellow tail and a white tail. They are reef safe with everything when small, but they do grow larger than Leopards and although they are fine with coral, anything with legs are on the menu…I don’t keep any hermits or shrimps.….can’t get a good pic of the white
IMG_3306.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg
Thanks for this information. Have you actually seen them eat inverts (not talking copepods/amphipods, but shrimp/crab/hermit/etc)? Sounds like the store owner I spoke to was correct then, and it’s good I didn’t buy it. It’s a beautiful fish, but I also really like keeping inverts that I don’t want to be eaten.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes they are definitely reef safe. Will eat copepods and other tiny inverts all day long but I highly doubt it would eat anything much bigger.
Do you currently have a yellowtail wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) living with shrimp/crab/hermit/etc that it doesn’t eat?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you currently have a yellowtail wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) living with shrimp/crab/hermit/etc that it doesn’t eat?
Yes. A fire shrimp, skunk cleaner, tiger pistol, many small hermit crabs, snails, serpent stars etc. Also had a porcelain crab for a long time but lost it in a heater malfunction.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Seems like I’m getting a lot of mixed experiences from people about this fish. It’s a bummer I might have to skip it.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yes. A fire shrimp, skunk cleaner, tiger pistol, many small hermit crabs, snails, serpent stars etc. Also had a porcelain crab for a long time but lost it in a heater malfunction.
Nice. Mike NY said when they get bigger they may eat inverts. Is yours small or large?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Mike NY said when they get bigger they may eat inverts. Is yours small or large?
Mine is small and though they get large they are not the aggressive predators similar sized wrasse are. I keep wrasse dominant tanks and even the big Halichoeres leave my shrimp alone but I feed very regularly.
IMG_3306.jpeg
IMG_2785.jpeg
And to think yours are still female. Wait till they go male!!

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Mine is small and though they get large they are not the aggressive predators similar sized wrasse are.

Ok, so it sounds like it’s possible they’ll eat inverts when they get large enough. Bummer! Gorgeous fish. I guess I’ll go for the less colorful black leopard wrasse when I can find one. I know my LFS gets them sometimes.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Mine is small and though they get large they are not the aggressive predators similar sized wrasse are. I keep wrasse dominant tanks and even the big Halichoeres leave my shrimp alone but I feed very regularly.

How do you distinguish male from female? I’d love to learn.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is a male. It’s very very hard to get a male because they are a difficult fish and slow growing but if you succeed
1696717677456.jpeg
Wow they look like a completely different fish. So the one I saw at the LFS was a female as well with the black body and yellow tail. Interesting. Love wrasses.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow they look like a completely different fish. So the one I saw at the LFS was a female as well with the black body and yellow tail. Interesting. Love wrasses.
One thing they definitely have over leopards is they don’t go ugly as males. But yes all wrasse start as females and go male eventually and most have very different colors.

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
One thing they definitely have over leopards is they don’t go ugly as males. But yes all wrasse start as females and go male eventually and most have very different colors.
Go ugly as males? I like how my male blue star leopard looks. Do they get ugly or is this your opinion of male leopards? Lol

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ugly as males? I like how my male blue star leopard looks. Do they get ugly or is this your opinion of male leopards? Lol
I don't think they go ugly, just that the female colors are better. Coris aygula, now. Wow, what a change, not for the better! Dragon wrasse also has a dramatic transition, I think.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion lol
With most wrasse the male has more vibrant colors but with many leopards the opposite. And honestly don’t think the males are ugly just less pretty.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they go ugly, just that the female colors are better. Coris aygula, now. Wow, what a change, not for the better! Dragon wrasse also has a dramatic transition, I think.
True coris wrasse have the craziest color changes. Dragons just look more and more psychotic as they age.
IMG_4072.jpeg

1696719694928.jpeg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back