Yes, another thread about placing your aquarium close/next to a window =P

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 20+ years, I have finally decided to purchase my first SW tank. I had a freshwater tank for ~10 years a long time ago and it was great, so I'm really looking forward to start this journey.
I've been looking for the perfect spot for my tank (WB frag 145.5), and the only place I have is on a room with windows facing SW. For privacy reasons, I always have the blinds down, although I keep just a bit open at the bottom for my dogs.

I've been reading a lot of threads in R2R and other sites, and most folks say that you should avoid placing your tank next to a window. However, there are many others that say that it's OK as long as you keep an eye on your nutrients. I also found a video showing a tank next to a window where the corals turned brown-ish (not saying that's a bad thing, some people actually like that!)

Here's a picture of the wall
original_fc8c88e8-c056-4e3e-88d6-3080be9b4d94_PXL_20210811_015612636.jpg

Do you guys think I'll have a lot of algae problems if I place the tank on that wall? I live in the Pacific North West. We get a lot of light during the summer (sunrise ~5am, sunset ~9.30 on the longest days), but that lasts only ~3 months. The rest is a mix of partially sunny, a A LOT of cloudy/rainy days.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't matter. Coral lights are algae growing lights, so whatever light you get from the window there won't matter, especially in a temperate rainforest.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be worried about heating up the tank too much from the sunlight. Just depends on your set up I guess and whether your tank runs hot from motors/lights/lower evap/closed top etc.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently experimented with this. My office tank was sheltered from light by my shades and my black out curtains. I over feed because it’s clear my tank is happy with more food. But I have algae on my rocks as a result due to my hydra.

Still, even with that I only had to clean the aquarium glass once a week, maybe.

Then I tried opening my shades and curtain (leaving only shears in place). I had to clean the glass daily without fail.

So, while it didn’t make algae anymore of a problem than it already was on my rock scape (I kept it managed), it certainly made a difference for the algae film on the glass.

I should note that the tank in my office is not positioned directly in front of the window. But the room is bright when the shades/ curtains are open.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is gonna look great on that wall! I have my cube in my office about ~4ft from a large window. I don't think it is really having any negative effect - my coral light is doing all of that work. I'll also mention that diffused light is significantly less strong than just a clear window. So blinds/shears will definitely help reduce any potential algae problems you may get.

Edit: @rhostam presents some interesting findings! I do have to clean my glass every 1-2 days, but I attributed that to being a young tank and still going through an ugly phase. I wonder if heavier curtains would reduce that (almost certainly to some extent I suspect.)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tanks in front of windows and never saw a negative impact. Clams seemed to love it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my corals getting a bit of real sun.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to make sure it doesn't heat up the tank. I also forgot how badly global warming is hitting you all so make sure you have some a/c going

OP
OP
R

ReefingIsMyTherapy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I will go ahead and install my tank on that wall (sill waiting for my tank to be delivered though ;Nailbiting ) I do have AC at home so I'm hopeful that will help to keep the temperature controlled.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those corals in the ocean must have great curtains!

superwheat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, sometimes we just overthinking. At one point I was tuning my flow, going back and forth, too much flow, too little flow. Then someone said something like your mp40 is nothing compare to the tide and current in the ocean, the coral will adapt

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back