Yet another Dinos ID

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I thought was cyanobacteria but chemiclean did nothing to it. I bought a microscope and put it under the microscope. But i don't know what type of dinos it is. Can anyone help me?

It is primarily on the sand. Goes away a little when lights are out.

20201111_214944.jpg 20201111_214634.jpg 20201105_212059.jpg

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sure looks like cyano to me - dinos have always been brown and bubbly in my tanks (in the past). can't you just scoop it up and call it a day?

Flux Capacitor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ostreopsis dinos to me. This type of dino floats around in the water column at night, which is why it gets better when the lights are off. Running a UV sterilizer has good success with this type. You can also run low micron socks over night and change them each morning. It works, but not as good as UV.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that sure looks like cyano to me - dinos have always been brown and bubbly in my tanks (in the past). can't you just scoop it up and call it a day?
Tried. It comes back the next day. Also tried chemiclean. Did nothing to it

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it does look like Coolia. I can't find anything on how to get rid of it though
Typical dino approach is fine. Treat like ostreopsis. It's just is less toxic, more sand-dwelling, and less enthusiastic about going into the water to get hit by UV. (So UV effect will be slower and less dramatic)

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typical dino approach is fine. Treat like ostreopsis. It's just is less toxic, more sand-dwelling, and less enthusiastic about going into the water to get hit by UV. (So UV effect will be slower and less dramatic)
I'm having trouble finding how to treat for either. Not very good with the search option. I've seen people say different things like h202, elegant method with the bacteria bloom, dr Tims method, UV, black out, dino x, increasing phosphates and nitrates, etc.

My question is, is there a specific way that would work best for my type of dinos?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Appears to be Dino

Prepare for a water change and blow this stuff loose with a turkey baster and siphon up loose particles.
Turn lights off for 5 days and st night dose 1ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons for all 5 nights
During the day dose 1ml of liquid bacteria (such as bacter 7) per 10 gallons.
Clean filters daily and DO NOT FEED CORAL FOODS OR ADD NOPOX as it is food for dinos.
Day 5,, you can start with blue lights and work your white lights up slowly

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back