Yet ANOTHER Vibrant trial thread - Bubble Algae

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don't have much Green Hair Algae (GHA) issues, I do have some clusters of bubble algae showing up here and there on my 40 gallon mixed reef tank. They are trying to take over and cover a small zoa group, as well as a few candy canes I've got. Before things get out of control, I figured I'd give Vibrant a shot.

First the preliminary info:
40 gallon (13 year old Eclipse 2 system - dont laugh)
Hence, minimal filtration.
GFO reactor
Water parameters are very stable over the last two years of RS tests. Only issue has been a phosphate battle that I'm winning(kinda) since I've started the GFO 4 months ago.

ph = 8.2
Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 15
Phosphate = .13
Sal = 1.026
Alk = 8.5
Calc = 420
Mag = 1320

Here's my plan for my 40gallon:
Day 1 (Friday): Do a fresh 10% water change while trying to pluck (and suck via siphon) out the easier bubble masses.

Day 2 (Saturday): Vibrant dosage as recommended. I'm doing the "dirty-tank" dosage; 1ml of Vibrant per 10 gallons of aquarium water once every week.

Day 8 (Friday): Usual 10% water change. ( Living in South Florida, I use Natural Sea Water for my water)

Day 9 (Saturday): repeat of Day 2... etc.

I'll post some pics of the issues so I (we) can keep track. If there is a parameter or information you think I am missing or need to track, please chime in here. @UWC

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to know it Vibrant will work for you. I bought some from my LFS when they suggested it for the film algae I have to clean off the glass every 4 or 5 days. It did not do much for that so I stopped using it.

I have some bubble algae that is strange looking to me. It is growing under a rock in the shade, and kind of light color green. Some is creeping up to the top side of the rock.
I started using API AlgaeFix Marine and by the 3rd dose it is disappearing. It looks like it is just dissolving and shrinking to nothing.

OP
OP
Michael Montgomery

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here my friend ... you and I are in the EXACT same boat.

I need to edit the post slightly... I did the water change on Friday and wanted to wait until Sunday to do my last water tests before dosing. Dosing happened Sunday late afternoon.
With that said.... I'm only four days into it and there wouldnt be much change. Still too early in the process. I CAN say that nothing(LPS and fish) in the tank seems affected. Like I said...toooo early yet. Yes, I need to post pics. :\

OP
OP
Michael Montgomery

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...I have some bubble algae that is strange looking to me. It is growing under a rock in the shade, and kind of light color green. Some is creeping up to the top side of the rock.
I started using API AlgaeFix Marine and by the 3rd dose it is disappearing. It looks like it is just dissolving and shrinking to nothing.

LIGHT green?? Odd... Only bubble *I've* seen is dark green...

LJLKRL05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LIGHT green?? Odd... Only bubble *I've* seen is dark green...
I know, it is odd. I siphoned some of it out and it is definitely bubbles. It does not look like the tightly clustered dark green bubble algae I have seen pictures of though. Could not get under the rocks to siphon, so I started the algae fix marine. It is dissolving after 3 doses 3 days apart.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just a few valonia when I started dosing vibrant months ago. It really helps keep th glass clean but now I have thousands of valonia. Not sure why it isn’t working on my problem. I have about 5ppm no3 and 18ppb P.

Edit: Seeing how many of you use algaefix I’ll give that a shot in conjunction with vibrant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael Montgomery

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had just a few valonia when I started dosing vibrant months ago. It really helps keep th glass clean but now I have thousands of valonia. Not sure why it isn’t working on my problem. I have about 5ppm no3 and 18ppb P.

Edit: Seeing how many of you use algaefix I’ll give that a shot in conjunction with vibrant.

I would only do one "fix" at a time. I'd want to see which one worked... If you do both, you could be causing more harm than good.?? Remember...Patience.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only do one "fix" at a time. I'd want to see which one worked... If you do both, you could be causing more harm than good.?? Remember...Patience.

One is a few bacterial strains, the other is a biocide. Tell me how those two things might interact?

OP
OP
Michael Montgomery

Michael Montgomery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp.. Not much to update yet... Since I've started dosing Vibrant, I've stopped manually removing them. Needless to say they have multiplied. Just short of a month into this process, and I dont see too much of a change.

I've asked @UWC if I should manually remove or just let Vibrant do it's thing... No response yet (just asked this morning).

More updates soon... I hope. :\

Lemec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any slime algae creep up? I was thinking of doing the same...had some bubble algae come in on a frag and it's been a pain in the butt lately!

bigroost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I cheerlead for this product all the time, but it really did a number on the bubble algae I had. It took a while but after about two months it was just gone.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 37 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back