yet another why can't I keep sps??

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread says it all. I've been reefing since 2000. I have kept sps in the past but it seems like that was a whole different hobby. I put frags in and they fade away. Weirdly, I have a couple of Monte in there, a purple stylo that are doing great. Reverse superman is ehh.. pastelly. But just put some new frags in set at top of tank put lights to a 20d acclimation and the just seem to "blanch" out and fade. no PE on new frags.

Reefer 450 - Build 2.5 years old 100% reef saver rock.
Trigger platinum sump (rollermat)
Regal 150 int skimmer
3x Red sea 90 LED
2 WAV (mavericks @ 60% most of the day)
Currently running CO2 scrubber, GFO/GAC in 1:2 ratio
tmp - 77.4-79.1
pH - 8.18-8.29
alk ~8 (trident)
Ca ~430 (trident)
Mg ~1260
PO4 ~.00 - .04 (hanna)
NO3 ~5 (Nyos)
1 gallon /day AWC via DOS

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read, Pale sps = too low of phosphates, too aggressive of GFO. Also, have you tried putting sps on your sandbed and leaving them there, or out in the corners to see if they have any difference in growth and color (rather than being up high and in presumably high par levels)? Have you ever measured your par levels?

On another note, double check what your Alk levels should be rather than what they are. Sounds like a low nutrient system so having high alk may cause adverse effects. Consider raising nutrients to match up.

Last edited:

hogger555

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried raising your alkalinity to about 9 and mag to 1325? When my mag gets that low my SPS fade and to PE.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the gfo and your sps will thank you
268E7B16-E44A-4912-8B4B-60A306EAB5F2.jpeg
25E439E0-C209-47AE-9F2F-1A896CAA72B9.jpeg
4CFE8BCB-F361-432A-A1D7-6062E12B9703.jpeg

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low nutrients you want low alk, so i think your alk is fine. I would get maybe some more phosphates in the tank and raise the mag.

The key what i found to help my sps is stability not only with alk but with phosphates as well

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lose the GFO and get NO3 up to 10-25 and PO4 .08-.15 Also you may want to consider seeding the Live Rock with a variety of bacteria. I order from IPSF.com once a year to keep my bio-diversity up. Starting with dead rock can cause problems with a lack of bacterial diversity.

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reciepe to keeping sps in a 50 gallon waterbox with 1 xr15 and 2 orphex strip light, and 1 in tank ws skimmer.Started with 40 pounds hatian live rock, w\c a least every 2 weeks, dose brightwells code a and b make from powder,also a hang on refuge with miracle mud and cheato,Alot of flow, in the current market there is alot of different pumps you can get.Dont chase numbers try to keep it basic exp heatersand salinity.aslo get fish in there and feed.Dont chase numbers and i contribute my sucess is to use ro\di water and make sure reading 0 tds.
I try note to use phosphate remover
also i use a low phospherous meter
Carbon occasionaly just to polish water
Test alk frequently
Took about 14 months to alk to settle in, now i test alk once a week sometimes twice,also make sure your calcium is at least 400
Sps like w\c especially every 2 weeks in a mature system about 20 percent
I dose 2 part twice , once in morning around 10 and at night around 10
I noticed my sps where healthiest around 1 . 5 years, they are and encrusting where they are fighting now
Note: good indiciation which most people keeping sps is coraline algae incrusting alot.
Also start ur corals low get a frag rack and move up especially if you are using halides.
Dont add to many chemicals at once , i try note to add any.
Note: i do add oyster feast, reef roids , phyto,but feeding fish is the most important, just watch your phosphates, but phospahates are ok corals need it not too high
Sps are verysensitive but if your system is mature they will thrive
Good luck keep it basic and dont sweat it out

OP
OP
becon776

becon776

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am suspecting i have low nutrients. however i have been playing the scale back fuge (h380) increase feeding and then was overwhelmed with gha, cut feeding crank up fuge time, manually remove and algae dies out corals either bleach or pastel.
rinse and repeat.
current status: i began 2x per week vibrant (on week 1.5) fuge completely offline chaeto removed.
i have a SIGNIFICANT fishload. but none who are interested in this brand of gha.

the rev superman monte is a great indicator because it will color up or pastel quickly depending on nutrients.

i do have brightwell po4 and NO3 on hand

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am suspecting i have low nutrients. however i have been playing the scale back fuge (h380) increase feeding and then was overwhelmed with gha, cut feeding crank up fuge time, manually remove and algae dies out corals either bleach or pastel.
rinse and repeat.
current status: i began 2x per week vibrant (on week 1.5) fuge completely offline chaeto removed.
i have a SIGNIFICANT fishload. but none who are interested in this brand of gha.

the rev superman monte is a great indicator because it will color up or pastel quickly depending on nutrients.

Vibrant is an sps killer also

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rinse and repeat.

Algae in a system is not a negative. You simply need herbivores that will consume it. I have found Mexican Turbo snails to be great at this. As a tank matures over the course of several years it should balance out and the nuisance algae should slow to a point that your CUC keeps up with it no problem. Trying to completely eliminate algae using bacterial and chemical products is a recipe for failure...

Loosechangereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your numbers look good ,
I m just making suggestions but in my past tanks i never used dead rock
I used Fiji back in the 90s and always grew sps,
2 years ago got my hands on haitian live rock which again you cant get , and growing sps again , granted i am only keeping mainstay sps, myagi tort, forest fire digi, setosa, green bali, pink caddy,mother of pearl, bling bling cyspastera,
tri color acro,
recently added bill Murry and red plant
all doing good , i contribute to live rock plus these corals have been in hobby for awhile,
So i dont want to tell you how to run your tank but you can add maybe aqua forest pro bio or get live rock in there
your call!!!!!

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is an sps killer also

Yes this would have been helpful to include in the original post; along with no seeded live rock, GFO, and dosing Vibrant, it makes sense as to why your SPS are not doing well.

SPS really need stability to do well long term.

Last edited:

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 5 builds under my belt 4 if which were with true live rock. this one 100% dry. i have never had this many issues getting a tank off the ground
I think you answered your own question.
In my 120 I went with 50/50 live/caribsea. No issues.
I think 50/50 is a good balance for success.
Same in my frag tank and no issies.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back