OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting around to thinking about my fish list for the new tank, and looking for suggestions.

Currently I have the Goldflake Angel pair above, a Powder Brown Tang, and a large Maroon Clown that I'm not sure if it will make it into the new tank. I also have a grown Imperator Angel that will be released in at the same time. Keep in mind I wont have a sandbed, and I don't plan on putting a lid on the tank (lid is not a deal breaker.)

What does everybody think?!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting around to thinking about my fish list for the new tank, and looking for suggestions.

Currently I have the Goldflake Angel pair above, a Powder Brown Tang, and a large Maroon Clown that I'm not sure if it will make it into the new tank. I also have a grown Imperator Angel that will be released in at the same time. Keep in mind I wont have a sandbed, and I don't plan on putting a lid on the tank (lid is not a deal breaker.)

The tank will be huge, so you will need a shoaling fish.
And if I ever have a tank again, it will have Talboti damsels. They have a great personality and horgeous to watch.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm with @Janci , you'll definitely need to get at least one form of schooling fish! Whether that is anthias, damsels, chromis, or cardinals they'll add something really special with the schooling movement!

You know me though, I'm all about the coral nippers haha some dwarf angels would be really nice as they add a lot of intrigue to the tank that you miss with other fish :) Pair of bandits maybe?? haha Big school (5-7) of royal gramma's would look pretty amazing! I'm 100% not a tang person so I can't really offer many suggestions there though haha

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank will be huge, so you will need a shoaling fish.
And if I ever have a tank again, it will have Talboti damsels. They have a great personality and horgeous to watch.

I have heard mixed reviews on damsel fish. I'm curious if I could get shoaling in the tank? I'm definitely trying to get my fish list together and let all of them in at once.

That tank turned out sweet man. I like how its as deep as your couch. Love that brick wall too.

Thanks very much! The brick wall is no longer, I moved out of my condo into an actual brick house, lol. I'm hoping to put another brick wall in the basement where my new tank will be going.

I'm with @Janci , you'll definitely need to get at least one form of schooling fish! Whether that is anthias, damsels, chromis, or cardinals they'll add something really special with the schooling movement!

You know me though, I'm all about the coral nippers haha some dwarf angels would be really nice as they add a lot of intrigue to the tank that you miss with other fish :) Pair of bandits maybe?? haha Big school (5-7) of royal gramma's would look pretty amazing! I'm 100% not a tang person so I can't really offer many suggestions there though haha

Well, we're already halfway there with my current fish list:
Pair of Goldflake Angels (Have)
Imperator Angel (Have)
Blueface Angel (Just ordered, here in 2 days)
Powder Brown Tang (Have)

Wants:
3 Yellow Tangs
Copperband Butterfly

What damsels do you think would be best for shoaling? Do you think (like Chromis) they would slowly take each other out until there is only 1?

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a lid, Angels will jump.

I lost two Blue Line Angels in separate instances to jumping out of an uncovered tank.

And they're less expensive than Goldflake's.

That's true, I have amassed some expenses in my fish stock, a lid is probably a sound idea. But I'm not happy about it!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a lid. I just have two clowns and a ywg now but I will be adding a lid before more fish go in.

A school of yellow tangs it's always awesome to look at. Maybe a bristle Tooth as well they love them all sorts of algae.

I think Cardinals look excellent in groups of 3 or more.

A hawk fish or two would add some reef safe variety as well and take up little space.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on a lid. I just have two clowns and a ywg now but I will be adding a lid before more fish go in.

A school of yellow tangs it's always awesome to look at. Maybe a bristle Tooth as well they love them all sorts of algae.

I think Cardinals look excellent in groups of 3 or more.

A hawk fish or two would add some reef safe variety as well and take up little space.

I’m worried about adding to many tangs, already the powder brown is super aggressive to new tank mates, and is big fat and healthy with his qt friend “the largest maroon clownfish you’ve ever seen in your life.”

Beautiful tank!

thank you very much!

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't wait to see what decisions you make for your fishie friends :D how's the new house treating you and the family now you've been settled for a bit??

You and me both! My Blueface came in this morning, it's been colder today than it has been in the past, and the water was pretty chilly (67f by my thermometer) but we did a proper acclimation and I took the lights off on the 150 with the Goldflakes and it seemed to go off and find it's bearings. Turned the pumps all back on and I'll check in a couple of hours and see if it might be hungry.

Hard to believe it's been about 6 months, time is flying! We have completely torn up the front garden, huge amounts of landscaping, knocking down walls, all the good stuff. We thought the dogs would love all the space, however, they really just stick in whatever room we're in, lol. We enjoy a coffee on the front porch every morning, and usually talk about how lucky we are to be stuck where we are for a QT.

We're also homesteading quite well, I've got a few barlywines aging that I've brewed, and about 3 more kegs of my homebrew cores. I've started rotating a fermenter dedicated to cider, and have a mead chugging away as well. We made our own sausage a few months back, and started curing some salami. My SO has a sourdough strain she's kept for the past 6 years or so, and we're rotating fresh baked sourdough about x2 a week. I've recently started making kombucha again.

Anyways, here is a video of me rambling about fish tanks and what I'm planning on doing:

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest tank member, Blueface McBlueferson. While most folk enjoy the juvie coloration, I prefer the adult colors. Can’t wait to watch this transition, which I hear should take a year or so.
8267A641-4D3A-4AEF-8E2B-2FA4F3A3006B.jpeg

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newest tank member, Blueface McBlueferson. While most folk enjoy the juvie coloration, I prefer the adult colors. Can’t wait to watch this transition, which I hear should take a year or so.
8267A641-4D3A-4AEF-8E2B-2FA4F3A3006B.jpeg
I love the blues that the juveniles have. Down side is that they can be a pain to get to eat.

OP
OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the blues that the juveniles have. Down side is that they can be a pain to get to eat.

The blues are certainly striking, I just love the yellow cross hatch on the adults with the dramatic blue face. This particular Blueface was marked down on Divers Den because of a blemish on its head, but a quick inspection leads me to believe it won't be visible as the fish grows, and even if it is, doesn't matter much to me.

It's funny, with the Goldflake Angels, the smaller of the two is much brighter, and still has yet to develop the blue jaw coloration, while the larger of the two is growing much faster. It has already lost a lot of that color pop the little one still carries, but also has more exaggerated markings, which I prefer. I'm looking forward to the baby blue forming around it's edges!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That blueface is adorable!! :D

Hard to believe it's been about 6 months, time is flying! We have completely torn up the front garden, huge amounts of landscaping, knocking down walls, all the good stuff. We thought the dogs would love all the space, however, they really just stick in whatever room we're in, lol. We enjoy a coffee on the front porch every morning, and usually talk about how lucky we are to be stuck where we are for a QT.

We're also homesteading quite well, I've got a few barlywines aging that I've brewed, and about 3 more kegs of my homebrew cores. I've started rotating a fermenter dedicated to cider, and have a mead chugging away as well. We made our own sausage a few months back, and started curing some salami. My SO has a sourdough strain she's kept for the past 6 years or so, and we're rotating fresh baked sourdough about x2 a week. I've recently started making kombucha again.
How has it been 6 months already!?!? haha Sounds like you've done a huge amount of work and the pups don't seem to be interested in much but being on the couch with you :p haha it must be so nice being able to sit out on the porch and have coffee! :)

I can't wait to see some pics of all this! I'm definitely keenly awaiting updates on the insta page you have going haha I'm bit jealous of all the space you've got to be able to set up such a dedicated to fermenting and brewing though! Homemade salami is just the best too!!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh....you dont brew Salami, Wrangy.o_O

Apologies for Wrangy...he's an Aussie so he's a wee bit off.
But it's adorable when he chimes in, so we keep him around.

;)
Wait what!?!? You telling me salami isn't meant to be a meat sludge in a brewing barrel??

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back