You can't have everything. Where would you put it?

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very disappointed with their lack of wrasse though! I told them that they definitely should add some coris wrasse to the big ocean voyager! Too many ugly fish in the ocean voyager, batfish, trevally, .... big silvery fish thingies.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was very disappointed with their lack of wrasse though! I told them that they definitely should add some coris wrasse to the big ocean voyager! Too many ugly fish in the ocean voyager, batfish, trevally, .... big silvery fish thingies.
Agreed lol! A Coris Gaimard full grown full blown male would look lovely!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I got a free behind the scenes tour of the Georgia Aquarium! It was so much better than I remembered and of course I got to see some of the special sides of it. You do not get a good feeling for the true scale of the whale sharks and manta rays through the acrylic. They are so so much bigger looking from above.
I’ve never been but I’ve always wanted to go!

Does it look like the whale sharks have enough space? I mean I know the tank holds like more than a million gallons but still

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda looks like if a chalice and a favia or a chalice and a plate had a baby
1685753174915.gif

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Does it look like the whale sharks have enough space? I mean I know the tank holds like more than a million gallons but still
Well they’ve both grown significantly and look fat and healthy mostly. The tank is roughly figure 8 shaped but for some reason the bigger one just swims circles in one end and gets some atrophy therefor. It also has a slightly damaged dorsal fin.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’d love to see them myself, but it’s like the Tang police problem just on a larger scale as they grow older and larger. I mean a 45 foot long animal needs lost a of swimming space, let alone two or more. Some things should be left where they came from.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love to see them myself, but it’s like the Tang police problem just on a larger scale as they grow older and larger. I mean a 45 foot long animal needs lost a of swimming space, let alone two or more. Some things should be left where they came from.
True
It’s incredible that despite how big they are they can get bigger and that would certainly be too big. Their argument would be that they have managed to study the DNA, behavior, and experiment with tracking methods as well raise a massive amount of funds towards conservation (no idea if that money goes to where it is supposed to or is used well).
However if you want to get annoyed they also have a tiger shark now and though it is doing better it has not taken well to captivity and was in pretty rough shape.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True
It’s incredible that despite how big they are they can get bigger and that would certainly be too big. Their argument would be that they have managed to study the DNA, behavior, and experiment with tracking methods as well raise a massive amount of funds towards conservation (no idea if that money goes to where it is supposed to or is used well).
However if you want to get annoyed they also have a tiger shark now and though it is doing better it has not taken well to captivity and was in pretty rough shape.
Makes me sad. It’s like the idiots that have tried to keep Great Whites. None has survived longer than a few days/week if I remember.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes me sad. It’s like the idiots that have tried to keep Great Whites. None has survived longer than a few days/week if I remember.
Yep
This one’s health has improved apparently and is healing well since they closed the shark cage attraction. But as I said it was pretty rough. Some of the other rays and sharks had some minor injuries but that was due to mating season.

The bigger issue is how like everyone they have too many tangs and not enough wrasse. Thus there was a lot of grumpy tangs beating each other up. Wrasse are superior. I joke but there was a lot of injured tangs and little fights.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep
This one’s health has improved apparently and is healing well since they closed the shark cage attraction. But as I said it was pretty rough. Some of the other rays and sharks had some minor injuries but that was due to mating season.

The bigger issue is how like everyone they have too many tangs and not enough wrasse. Thus there was a lot of grumpy tangs beating each other up. Wrasse are superior.
You’ve got me there. I’m fully on the wrasse train now. Though with my complement of fish I’m probably overstocked in my 60 gallon . 2 ocellaris clowns , 2 Bangaii that I keep partly cause my wife likes the, orange spot blenny, spotted mandarin, and of course the wrasses - Red Velvet female that hasn’t started transitioning (yet), Melanurus that looks like it’s just starting to transition, and a juvie Black Leopard.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ve got me there. I’m fully on the wrasse train now. Though with my complement of fish I’m probably overstocked in my 60 gallon . 2 ocellaris clowns , 2 Bangaii that I keep partly cause my wife likes the, orange spot blenny, spotted mandarin, and of course the wrasses - Red Velvet female that hasn’t started transitioning (yet), Melanurus that looks like it’s just starting to transition, and a juvie Black Leopard.
Ooh I love the red velvet and everytime I see a black leopard I love them a little more.

I guess the weird thing about this tour was seeing the same issues on a much bigger scale. Mentioned aggression but as said with the tang police we all will debate whether we can put a fish that gets X big in only a tank Y size but in the PA it’s not one person and theirs politics everywhere. Their big tank is the whale shark tank. Can they not have whale sharks?

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh I love the red velvet and everytime I see a black leopard I love them a little more.

I guess the weird thing about this tour was seeing the same issues on a much bigger scale. Mentioned aggression but as said with the tang police we all will debate whether we can put a fish that gets X big in only a tank Y size but in the PA it’s not one person and theirs politics everywhere. Their big tank is the whale shark tank. Can they not have whale sharks?
They can but at the end of the day per se, they’ll have to deal with the consequences in some form for keeping such a large and delicate animal. As I’ve said I’d still love to see them, but that’s neither here nor there. I was a volunteer worker at the New England Aquariums education dept. for several years as a late teen. They did a pretty good job of maintaining their animals but they still could have issues. In retrospect looking back, they didn’t have enough wrasses. It was where I learned to love Mandarin Dragonets though.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However if you want to get annoyed they also have a tiger shark now and though it is doing better it has not taken well to captivity and was in pretty rough shape
What!?:crying-face: An actual one of these!?
1685757975963.png

Thats my favorite shark! These guys get even longer than a great white! Not as big but still longer! :crying-face: I hope they know what they are doing, which idk how much they know what their doing…l mean, they can’t free the whale sharks because they have been too domesticated, transferring an animal(s) that size and sensitivity is near impossible especially if sent to another country, and what funds or place do they have to create something more than double the size of the place they are now?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Their big tank is the whale shark tank. Can they not have whale sharks
I saw some pics. Everyday I'm reminded my aquarium is a prison.

I can only hope to keep my fish mentally happy. Or find nice homes for them when they need more space.

I really can't comment on keeping a whale shark. I know nothing.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What!?:crying-face: An actual one of these!?
1685757975963.png

Thats my favorite shark! These guys get even longer than a great white! Not as big but still longer! :crying-face: I hope they know what they are doing, which idk how much they know what their doing…l mean, they can’t free the whale sharks because they have been too domesticated, transferring an animal(s) that size and sensitivity is near impossible especially if sent to another country, and what funds or place do they have to create something more than double the size of the place they are now?
Yeah I’d say the tiger is like 8-10ft. It is very pretty despite its problems. I’m glad they realized that the shark cage was stressing it out.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday I'm reminded my aquarium is a prison.
Unfortunately this is technically what our reefs or Fowlrs are, same thing with keeping birds, yea I try and do my very best and give them the most amount of things and space, but they are still in a cage at the end of the day…..but this is just one certain point of view.…we see the better side :)

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d say the tiger is like 8-10ft. It is very pretty despite its problems. I’m glad they realized that the shark cage was stressing it out.
I’m wondering how long it’s going to take to break the animal, since I’m guessing it is a wild rescue?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Unfortunately this is technically what our reefs or Fowlrs are, same thing with keeping birds, yea I try and do my very best and give them the most amount of things and space, but they are still in a cage at the end of the day…..but this is just one certain point of view.…we see the better side :)
I used to keep birds, they were out of cage while we were home and awake. Cage was meant for bedtime, or when we were gone. They understood as funny as that is. I have no experience with anyhing bigger than a sun conure and quaker parrot. Would have loved a macaw. But those beaks scared me.

Now all they need to do is get more wrasse so you'll enjoy the tour and not notice the bickering tangs.

Sounds like there wasn't any.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m wondering how long it’s going to take to break the animal, since I’m guessing it is a wild rescue?
Honestly it still looks tiny in the tank. It’s a really big tank. Not the ocean voyager but it’s 100ft long I believe. These photos are both from there. And as I said it’s apparently doing a lot better than a couple months ago.
I’ll get pics of it tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_6764.jpeg
    IMG_6764.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6763.jpeg
    IMG_6763.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 25

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back