You ever bought a Brown coral to see what it turns out to be?l

Latinreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased only one brown sps and it turn out beautiful! Well worth the gamble they normally 65% cheaper than a bright colored sps

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Free to $20. I just got a small sickly piece of monti that turned out to be a Star Burst and now is growing very well after 3 weeks. I never go past $20 for a sick stick but I will give back to the lfs or reefer a free frag once it's grown out. This works well with the lfs.

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fortunate enough to purchase many (100's) of brown corals from the wholesalers. The corals come in and if they sit at the wholesalers for more than a week some times the color fades out of them.

These are brown corals, not faded or beige.

They recovery of these corals is way over 90%. I put them in my outdoor sunlit frag tank, and recovery takes from a week to 3 weeks for the color to come back. Once the color returns in the sunlight I can transfer them inside (same water/system) and the corals will maintain their color.

Dave B

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oops, one more thing. Having seens 1000's and 1000's of corals arrive here in the states from all over the world. Very seldom to brown corals come in. Nobody wants to buy a brown coral - not the wholesaler, the fish store, or the end user. So when you see a brown coral sitting at your LFS, know that it was originally something that caught the divers eye when it was collected.

Now some of the deep water corals do come in browned out, and the aquacultured red dragon corals come in without color.

Dave B

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the odds that a faded Coral. will recover? not much color but polyps are out ? almost bleached. they have been looking like that for a month now.. .

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

porkfish66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be extra careful buying the brown stuff. Loss of color can be due to bugs/worms, not just poor light and water quality.

rufus2008

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2013-04-14 22.02.20.jpg
I bought what I thought was a browned out chalice and just found out today with the help of this forum that it is actually a sps merulina.

Checkitout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my $10 browned out frag and after a few month this what it turned out to be. Its now a whole lot bigger and with very broght colors.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would for sure pay more than 10$ for that frag now I payed 5$ for a browny a while back it turned into a garf bonsi looks awesome now

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's treasure out the but I agree with a earlier post, you need to watch out for the junk and bug infested ones. If you have an eye for skeleton structor and growth patterns then you can find some real gems all the time at lfs.

Dtech07

SPS LOVER!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great find and deal! We should have a Brown Coral then and now frag swap. I wonder what come from some of the tanks?

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very seldom to brown corals come in. Nobody wants to buy a brown coral - not the wholesaler, the fish store, or the end user. So when you see a brown coral sitting at your LFS, know that it was originally something that caught the divers eye when it was collected.

Dave B
I agree wholeheartedly! These brown corals were colored once before and they can be a gem in the right tank.

Dan

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back