You just can't count on UPS or FedEx

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't change UPS and Fedex so I try to only order during the months where weather is ideal... usually spring/fall. This way stuff can generally make it 2 days ok. Pickup as hub if it is something extra important.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT BUY ONLINE CORALS OR FISH DURING THE WINTER

TOO MANY FLIGHTS CANCELLED FOR WEATHER ISSUE

what are you thinking vivica a fox GIF by Lifetime

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them say the Package was undeliverable at my address. Also I had UPS do this. Excuse was; “Driveway was too muddy.” Good thing I noticed, before it was Stolen.
How long did it take for your mud to set up? Concrete Driveways are Best!

I think what he meant in that instance was that the previous delivery was across a cow pasture and his boots were to muddy so he didn’t want to track up the driveway?

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here, having rearranged my work schedule for an overnight shipment of over $500 of corals from Top Shelf Aquatics. I love TSA and have always gotten a great product from them. The problem is with the carriers. Two out of five times I have had shipments delayed. Seems this is the norm on everything now and it is all about excuses, COVID, workforce issues, weather, blah blah blah. The thing is we pay for the service and overnight priority by noon is what is paid for. There was an offer (the cost) and acceptance (the money paid for shipping), that's a contract. These are live animals and a company needs to deliver on the contract. I really don't care why or what your excuses are. This has sadly become the norm in society these days. In my business I deliver by what I say I will do. I will find a way to make it happen. I guess sadly this is more about society and what has become acceptable more than just my delivery not being on time. I wish I could bill for my time that I rearranged to be here for the shipment. Two out of fives times not delivering on time is 20%. That is not acceptable yet there is nothing we can do about it. I guess I am done ranting now...
Yup. Good ol' UPS. Just had a shipment get stuck at the local airport on Friday because it arrived 20 minutes after the truck went out from airline delays. Was supposed to be here by noon. I would have gladly picked it up myself but could never get another person on the other end of the phone, only a machine.

Sad part is they couldn't even get it here by noon on the next day, albeit a Saturday delivery.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT BUY ONLINE CORALS OR FISH DURING THE WINTER

TOO MANY FLIGHTS CANCELLED FOR WEATHER ISSUE

what are you thinking vivica a fox GIF by Lifetime
Florida to Tennessee shouldn't be an issue. They sent it to Memphis and I guess that's where they had the issue. Someone in logistics might look at weather forecasts and say hmm lets send it by truck in the same amount of time...

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess they gave up on trying to get it here today. Their last post said it left Memphis at 8:30am. That is an hour behind my time so it should have been in Chattanooga by 1pm at the latest. I guess they don't care that it's live animals and have now updated it to delivery by 12pm tomorrow.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess they gave up on trying to get it here today. Their last post said it left Memphis at 8:30am. That is an hour behind my time so it should have been in Chattanooga by 1pm at the latest. I guess they don't care that it's live animals and have now updated it to delivery by 12pm tomorrow.
I totally agree with your frustration. The only bright spot is that corals can survive colder Temps for longer period then over heat Temps in shipping so hopefully they will make it through.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All correct. All excuses, too. The covid excuse is just laughable at this point. But I hope you get everything alive and well! A few hours in the tank and I think they will spring right back to life!
At this point, COVID (outside of a handful of very specific markets) means "We don't want to pay a market wage, so we're way understaffed everywhere, and think our customers are stupid".

UPS/FEDEX have had 3 years now to deal with increased volumes. They've raised their prices significantly. FEDEX's stock is twice what it was pre-pandemic. UPS is 50% higher. They're making massive profits.

And nothing drives me nuts like the "Attempted to deliver - owner unreachable" stuff when you're home all day and a truck never came near the driveway.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here this morning having had to clear my day a second time. They still seem in no hurry to get it here. Update says by noon. You would think that since they couldn't fulfill the contract yesterday they would put priority on one of the first stops...

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they finally made it around 11am. Must have been left in the truck or who knows. The water was very cold and they didn’t retain their heat. I floated for about an hour and thought they would be up to temp. When I open the first bag and got ready to dip it the water was only up to 72. I kept them floating as I took them one by one and opened and dipped. A few of the Zoas were starting to open when I had to leave. Some hadn’t yet. I think they will be ok…I hope. I’m more worried about the Favia and Acan. Fingers crossed.

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in the middle of a big winter cold snap

Why are you ordering and expecting delivery services to magically make it happen without harming your livestock?

I didn't place an order last week because I knew the cold snap was coming this week.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're in the middle of a big winter cold snap

Why are you ordering and expecting delivery services to magically make it happen without harming your livestock?

I didn't place an order last week because I knew the cold snap was coming this week.
As stated above travel from Florida to Tennessee shouldn't be an issue. Not really any magic to it at all if delivered on time. They are packed for the elements. They are not packed to hang out for an extra day in a truck because people can't do their job. That clear it up for you?

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above travel from Florida to Tennessee shouldn't be an issue. Not really any magic to it at all if delivered on time. They are packed for the elements. They are not packed to hang out for an extra day in a truck because people can't do their job. That clear it up for you?

"shouldn't be an issue, it's just from x to y"

Yeah, except it is an issue, and you should know better.

Maybe don't place livestock orders when there's a huge winter storm hitting the nation - causing lots of shipping delays and other issues.

OP
OP
CoachRichardson

CoachRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"shouldn't be an issue, it's just from x to y"

Yeah, except it is an issue, and you should know better.

Maybe don't place livestock orders when there's a huge winter storm hitting the nation - causing lots of shipping delays and other issues.
What area are you in? Do you know the weather here? It was placed two weeks ago but thanks for the advice...

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in Logistics, and FedEx has the worst safety rating in the industry, they kill an average of a driver a day. UPS not much better. Then they makes excuses blaming everything except themselves for lousy service.

I suggest you use alternate shippers if you have the option. FedEx really needs to be to put out of business just based on their DOT Safety Rating alone.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work in Logistics, and FedEx has the worst safety rating in the industry, they kill an average of a driver a day. UPS not much better. Then they makes excuses blaming everything except themselves for lousy service.

I suggest you use alternate shippers if you have the option. FedEx really needs to be to put out of business just based on their DOT Safety Rating alone.
Have you ever looked at the Tires on USPS, Neighborhood Delivery Trucks? There is no way they would pass any kind of inspection or traffic stop.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They seem to hide their this from the internet:

Alarming Stats About FedEx Accidents
According to recent data from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), there were 2,766 accidents involving FedEx trucks between November 2020 and October 2022. Of these crashes, 71 involved a fatality and another 893 caused serious injuries. “

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I deal with shipping issues from FEDEX, UPS and DHL all the time. I watched them misroute or lose thousands of dollars in shipments at work and I had A recent Favia colony lost recently (Thanks UPS)

there were no weather events, thermonuclear exchanges or exploding volcanoes to blame in any any of these cases. Worse, their customer service is uniformly lousy.

I love it when I can find what I want local.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few missed signatures when no signature was chosen. that was a pain because i had to travel to their hub which isn't close or wait a day and that doesn't work for live deliveries. just recently UPS delivered to my home when i requested my office (tracking even said my office) and i had to blast home before everything cooked in the sun on my front porch.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back