YOU KNOW, IT'S LIKE THAT PART IN E.T.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned for me the best thing is to go to work and feed my family when my tank is not busy. Even though there is probably over 20k worth of livestock, in a 40 gallon tank, gotta put it aside. I just look at her and say,"I'll be back baby."

I guess I'm a little addicted to work to. I'm trying really hard not to let Reef control my life and my garage this time around.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've learned for me the best thing is to go to work and feed my family when my tank is not busy. Even though there is probably over 20k worth of livestock, in a 40 gallon tank, gotta put it aside. I just look at her and say,"I'll be back baby."

I guess I'm a little addicted to work to. I'm trying really hard not to let Reef control my life and my garage this time around.

I'm totally there with you on this one. Distractions are one of the best antidotes for sure.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll have to forgive the dated reference, but I grew up in the 80's, and E.T. is what I always think about when I’m drawing this curious emotional connection.

I'm talking about that existisitential bond linking our corals health and happiness, to our own mental or physical state. You know just like in E.T. when our adorable alien friend is getting all sick and dying, and Elliot is experiencing the same thing through some cosmically anthropomorphic connection. Well I’m telling you this happens to me. When my coral is happy, I'm happy. No doubt about it. There's a spring in my step and a happy tune in my head. But when my coral seems off, or like something is wrong, my mood changes pretty dramatically. From slightly depressed to an all out frantic spell, almost like clockwork lol. Ask my wife, she'll tell you.

It’s not that my moods are directly dictated by the health of my tank inhabitants, and maybe a lot of this has to do with the fact that I’ve got a lot at stake, with regards to the health of my specimens now. Or at least that it's exacerbated to a degree I'll admit, but I'm telling you this goes back long before coral was a source of income for me. It's a connection that has somehow established itself as real, at least in my case. And OK OK, I know I’m not actually telepathically connected to my coral like in ET, but I can say for sure, that the health of my coral has a definite impact on my own mood. Good or bad, sometimes extreme, and other times negligible, but I can't deny that this connection exists.

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like Elliot sometimes?

Yes indeed... you know you may be on to something here..
I am the same way and have been for many years pertaining to my reef tanks health overall and down to every critter I care for in my glass box.
Having a flourishing tank does directly affect ones mood and outlook just as when things are off or something goes horribly wrong.
If you are in tune with your system and are passionate for this hobby then you may just have some ''Elliot'' within, OR E.T. if your feeling freaky haha.
Good luck to all and happy reefing
BluewaterLa/ Mike

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only stick heads and Reef junkies can understand this, Try telling your co workers you are in a bad mode because your tank is doing poorly

Ha! good point. someone should turn the idea into a shirt or something lol

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancee can tell if I am feeling depressed or joyful by the state of my tank. It goes both ways in my case - if the tank doesn't look great, I am in a foul mood, If I am in a foul mood then tank probably would be in a poor state.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My fiancee can tell if I am feeling depressed or joyful by the state of my tank. It goes both ways in my case - if the tank doesn't look great, I am in a foul mood, If I am in a foul mood then tank probably would be in a poor state.

I truly know exactly what you mean. 110% lol

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to.. I even had dreams about my tank but as I got older and been in the hobby longer I do not get as worked up anymore.
I know more about the hobby and know how to handle issues far better.

I also do not have nearly as much at stake as you do now.

Last edited:

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been key to bringing enjoyment back for me. After two crashes in ten years I just have to limit my risk so I can relax and enjoy it more. I'm still neurotic, still nose against the glass with magnifier every day, just happier, lol.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I used to.. I even had dreams about my tank but as I got older and been in the hobby longer I do not get as worked up anymore.
I know more about the hobby and know how to handle issues far better.

Nice, dreams! you just reminded me this. I have had countless dreams, some recurring and some off the wall but all are generally not pleasant in some way or another or involve some kind of anxiety. lol

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This has been key to bringing enjoyment back for me. After two crashes in ten years I just have to limit my risk so I can relax and enjoy it more. I'm still neurotic, still nose against the glass with magnifier every day, just happier, lol.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 70 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back