YOUR ENERGY PLAN for this upcoming Winter and skyrocketing costs

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's YOUR ENERGY PLAN?....
if predictions from experts are correct that energy costs are going to go up 30% in 2022 and beyond.

My plan that I've already implemented:

* (non reef related) reduced my water heater to the lowest setting, where the hottest water i can get is 120°

* (non reef related) set my furnace for Winter at 66° (not 68 or 70 like in years past)

* thru Apex, moving down from 78° stable to 76° stable. Sacrificing coral growth in warmer tank temps to keep electric bill down

(Making my house 66° and the tank at 76° .... a 10° difference my heaters will have to make up)

* my light schedule will stay untouched but using all LED anyways

* my sump is in the basement and I use a Reeflo barracuda return pump that draws about 350 watts. Absolutely my biggest energy consumer. Thinking about using Apex to shut it down for 9hrs during light peaks during the day (noon to 9pm) and just run my one Vortech in tank for water movement.

What about you and your plan?

Or you just not changing anything and winging it?

I see a lot of new reefers throwing in the towel when they get January's $400 electric bill

Shocked Bad News GIF

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A timely thread!

As I already run everything through my Apex I know exactly what my electrical costs will be for 2022. Natural gas is increasing 24% Nov 1, so this won't necessarily translate into a huge hit for the aquarium. Since my cost is only around $45/month I'll most likely just wing-it to some extent.

I already made the investment into DC pumps earlier this year anticipating some of this, but some additional things I might implement:

* Shortening my light schedule by -2 hours daily
* Turning my protein skimmer off during the night
* Ramping down the speed of my two main pumps from 45% to 25-30% at night (I'm already running my powerheads at minimal speed at night)
* Cancelling my Netflix subscription

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoa what did you change your avatar? Almost didn’t recognize you!

Doesn’t proper forum etiquette require well-known members to notify all R2R members 90 days before changing established avatars?

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first reefing winter in almost a decade, but I haven't seen any significant increase in my utility bills so far, and there wasn't much difference back in the old days.

If anyone wants to invest in solar, though, I might know a guy (I'm the guy). ;)

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t plan to do much really. More of a wait and see if it’s just another frantic tactic to put everyone into a panic attack! they Might go up some in some places, but 30% would run people out of their homes. It is not sustainable. Not an energy expert here, but I know a few big energy guys in the state through work and most seem to think 30% is exaggerated…..or maybe that’s what they want to believe for fear of what could happen if it’s true….I sure hope it doesn’t go up that much.

corey

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heat with wood pellets, which actually went down this year. Propane for stove and clothes dryer. Only thing that will effect my tank is if electricity goes up, which it hasn't here.....YET!

But no, not doing anything different this year to previous.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer do you use wood pellets only, or wood and corn mix? I know the corn provided more heat but burns quicker, or thats What I’m told. I have considered a pellet/stick burner for my basement in the winter. Don’t need it, but fire is so relaxing and would fit in great with the bourbon/cigar bar I’m finishing up down there……haha

corey

DavidinGA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I built my current system to be energy efficient to start with I probably won't change anything.

90g dt & 29g sump
2 led panels
1 gyre wavemaker
1 return pump
1 led ATS light
1 heater
1 aqualifter pump for ato
No skimmer, no reactors, no extra additional pumps (ats runs off dt drain line), no dosing pumps, etc

Super simple and efficient already.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homer do you use wood pellets only, or wood and corn mix? I know the corn provided more heat but burns quicker, or thats What I’m told. I have considered a pellet/stick burner for my basement in the winter. Don’t need it, but fire is so relaxing and would fit in great with the bourbon/cigar bar I’m finishing up down there……haha

corey
Wood only as thats whats widely available in my area. I have found over the years, that a mix of soft wood/hardwood as opposed to hardwood only gives off more heat.

My stove can burn anything from corn pellets, to dung. None of that is available to me though.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After further consideration, I suggested to my wife that she cut her hot showers back by 50%, use half the normal lighting in the bathroom and abstain from hanging Christmas lights this year.

I'm now sleeping (literally) with the fishes, lol.

MrTPlush

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I sort of planned for winter when setting up my tank. I have two 300watt in my 125gal (no sump) tank. Overpowered, exactly like I want. If one fails the other easily can take the load. I don't really understand people keeping the tank hotter in case the power sputters out. At that rate go buy yourself a generator so you can actually protect your tank instead of buying another hour of praying they turn it back on.

As far as energy costs, is what it is. Thankfully my utility bill isn't that high in general. For a 2.5k house my worst month the last year was $142 for gas/electric. I really won't be shedding a tear over 30%. I sure didn't start my tank to save money on utilities or random splurge spending at 10pm. I put it in my basement that is probably around 60 degrees come dead of winter. I am not going to frantically mess with things trying to save $10 a month.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RSnodgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot but I know a few that have set up their water heater to heat their tank. Rock solid and the switch is like 3v.

Have to do it properly but the house water pumps through a coil of pipe in the sump and back to the water heater.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
buying more stock in utility companies. using the increased dividends to pay the higher bill.
if we survived livestock bans and shipping cost increases i'm sure we'll survive utility cost increases.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@zoa what did you change your avatar? Almost didn’t recognize you!

Doesn’t proper forum etiquette require well-known members to notify all R2R members 90 days before changing established avatars?
It was the changing the username that threw me off. His was the first one I saw where the name had been changed, or at least noticed.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to do a thing differently. Other than perhaps finally pulling the trigger on installing solar panels, but as far north as we are I'm not sure if we receive enough solar radiation to make the breakeven point before we decide to move for a bigger home (mostly for a lighter commute and bigger tank).

Energy costs can certainly be a major cost, but it's not a big deal for my situation. If my electricity costs go up 30%... well, I'd go from paying $150/month to $195/month. If I don't have enough room in my budget for $45, then I have no business keeping a reef tank to begin with.

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Changed mh lights to shutoff at the start of the peak demand period 4 to 8 pm. Not a big savings but some not planning to do much else. Led lights are in my future to replace t5/mh

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back