Your LFS location

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a LFS in my area, closest is 50 min drive and that one is dirty. I have been using online stores, built a customer relationship with certain employees and I haven’t had a problem. Gas is high in. CA so might as well ship livestock and no freeway gridlock.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple close by within 30 minutes. Haven't gone to either in months. I'm an hour away from wwc/ top shelf. I never find what I'm looking for as far as livestock goes so it's usually a wasted trip. They all have the typical selection of fish. Nothing unusual or uncommon so I order online now for just about everything. I have 2 good sized systems so pricing matters to me and supplies are just cheaper shopping online. I own a small business and I get price shopped all the time for my services so even though I like the shops it comes down to price and selection for me.

OP
OP
vetteguy53081

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
there are so many lfs around me its insane. I have 3 within 5-10 minute drive with one being a coral only store. If I expand the radius to 20 min drive, I can add another 4-5 stores. This is not counting all the specialty freshwater or petcos
Thats the consensus Im getting with Texas

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Badgerland just up the street in Janesville.

Milwaukee has a ton of great choices too, if I feel like taking an afternoon drive.

One of my favorite stores, however, is a three hour drive round trip, so I make that one quarterly.

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there were more in Wisconsin. I used to drive 1.5 hours to Wet Dreams Aquatics in Milwaukee but now I've got Big Kahuna in Madison less than a half hour away and they also quarantine whatever fish I want to order. Golden Guppy in Madison also close but I mostly just by frozen food and snails from them. They've been getting more coral in but there's not much. I still don't have a good coral place really.

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a great lfs that is about 20 minutes away. Clean and great selection of fish ( all of mine are from there), corals and inverts. What they don’t have they will order. I occasionally make a 50 minute trip to Tidal Gardens, they are fantastic. I’m about 1/2 hour from corals.com but they don’t offer in store or pick up ☹️.

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nearest marine fish store is 2 hours 4 hour round trip. Here in the uk electricity has tripled. A lot of marine shops have closed due to not making enough money to keep going .
The United States will be the exact same soon. Once “they” get their way. It’s online sales that killed the LFS here.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far is everyone traveling to their LFS?
How far are you willing to travel to an LFS?

I travel about 1 hour to LFS and have gone as Far as 2.5 hours.
I travel 1 hour 10 minutes every week (sometimes on a bad day it can get to 1.5Hrs) however I also work there so that’s my big exception as it’s worth it.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nearest marine fish store is 2 hours 4 hour round trip. Here in the uk electricity has tripled. A lot of marine shops have closed due to not making enough money to keep going .
Out of curiosity, where abouts in the UK are you?

I’ve had a few LFSs shut and move around me because of expense rising but luckily it’s yet to be that bad.

drolmaeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here in the southwest suburbs of Chicago I have a couple of reputable places within 15 minutes, another half-dozen within 30 minutes, and another half-dozen or so within a 30-60 minute drive. There are also several small but seemingly legit home operations for coral propagation around (I say seemingly only because I have never been to any of them).

I wouldn't mind driving an hour or more if it meant I could get specific livestock I wanted, but for the moment that isn't necessary.

I am pleasantly surprised how friendly, knowledgeable, helpful the staff and owners are at these places.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 1.5 hrs if there is something I really want and is in stock. Otherwise, I'll just pay shipping online and have it delivered.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 51 41.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 62 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back