Your most generous experience in reefing? (Giving or Receiving)

Morbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading @Bfragale's post "" (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/to-all-those-awesome-reefers-out-there.760557/) and it reminded me of one of the most generous reefers I've met. Instead of hi-jacking his thread I figured I'd start my own.

I've met people like "Jimmy" before here in New England. But one in particular stands out.

A fellow reefer was getting out and she, we'll call her "Jenny", was giving away her entire setup (40B, all equipment, livestock and coral).

"Jenny" wanted the system to go to a good home, someone that wouldn't just turn around and sell it. It was perfect timing as I had been considering getting back into the hobby (had to sell our first tank about a year earlier because of my company shutting down). I sent "Jenny" a nice PM with my experiences with the tank, on our local forum, etc. Also included some pictures of my kids helping me with the first tank.

She responded a day later and said we could have the tank! Woot! She said most responses were just "I'll take it" or "Give it to me". When she announced it in her thread that she'd made her choice some people were very upset. They thought because they posted "ME!" first in the thread they should get it. [That's another whole post about entitlement in reefing.]

That weekend a friend and I went to meet "Jenny" and pick up the tank. There were 6-7 fish, a bunch of corals, a tube nem (that was awesome!), some rock flower nems, etc.

Side story -- we kept this setup in the basement on a "work" stand I had built earlier. We didn't have a top on it. Went down to do some maintenance one day and noticed one of the clowns was missing. Looked all over for it, or the body, with no luck. Gave up and went to do the water change... pick up the home depot bucket on the floor next to the tank and hear something moving around. I look into the bucket and there's the missing clownfish!!! Somehow it used up all of it's luck and when it jumped it landed in the one spot where it wouldn't die; the bucket had 3-4 inches of water (salty but not "to level"). I'm sure it was cold, but it was still alive. We reacclimated it to the tank water and back in it went.

For as long as we had that tank we'd take pictures and sent updates to "Jenny". About a year later we were ready to go back to a bigger tank so, as promised, we passed on all the equipment and anything else she had given us to fellow reefers. The only request was that they not sell it and pass it on if they could.

What's your most generous reefing experience?

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just reading @Bfragale's post "" (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/to-all-those-awesome-reefers-out-there.760557/) and it reminded me of one of the most generous reefers I've met. Instead of hi-jacking his thread I figured I'd start my own.

I've met people like "Jimmy" before here in New England. But one in particular stands out.

A fellow reefer was getting out and she, we'll call her "Jenny", was giving away her entire setup (40B, all equipment, livestock and coral).

"Jenny" wanted the system to go to a good home, someone that wouldn't just turn around and sell it. It was perfect timing as I had been considering getting back into the hobby (had to sell our first tank about a year earlier because of my company shutting down). I sent "Jenny" a nice PM with my experiences with the tank, on our local forum, etc. Also included some pictures of my kids helping me with the first tank.

She responded a day later and said we could have the tank! Woot! She said most responses were just "I'll take it" or "Give it to me". When she announced it in her thread that she'd made her choice some people were very upset. They thought because they posted "ME!" first in the thread they should get it. [That's another whole post about entitlement in reefing.]

That weekend a friend and I went to meet "Jenny" and pick up the tank. There were 6-7 fish, a bunch of corals, a tube nem (that was awesome!), some rock flower nems, etc.

Side story -- we kept this setup in the basement on a "work" stand I had built earlier. We didn't have a top on it. Went down to do some maintenance one day and noticed one of the clowns was missing. Looked all over for it, or the body, with no luck. Gave up and went to do the water change... pick up the home depot bucket on the floor next to the tank and hear something moving around. I look into the bucket and there's the missing clownfish!!! Somehow it used up all of it's luck and when it jumped it landed in the one spot where it wouldn't die; the bucket had 3-4 inches of water (salty but not "to level"). I'm sure it was cold, but it was still alive. We reacclimated it to the tank water and back in it went.

For as long as we had that tank we'd take pictures and sent updates to "Jenny". About a year later we were ready to go back to a bigger tank so, as promised, we passed on all the equipment and anything else she had given us to fellow reefers. The only request was that they not sell it and pass it on if they could.

I absolutely love this! Jenny is an awesome reefer too! I love to hear stories like this. Thank you for sharing, take care and happy reefing!

Everything Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Was this on Boston Reefers Society, lots of good people on there

excell007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave away my 55g set up when I upgrated to a 90G years ago.
Earlier this year I tore down my 120G freshwater and a week later I saw a "wanted Aquarium" in our subdivision newsgroup, due to covid I told her that I will just leave the tank on the sidewalk in front of our house.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back