Your Thoughts On My Equipment Moving Forward.

mthompson11235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick breakdown: Pretty much mastered the freshwater planted aquarium over the past few years. So thats where Im coming from. Moved into salt about a year ago.

Livestock: I got 2 snowflake clowns (with host bubble anemone), two spot goby (hangs out with clowns), royal gramma, Banggai Cardinalfish and flame hawkfish (runs around causing trouble), zoa island and torch coral. Also got three sand sifting starfish and snails. Live rock.

Equipment: 40 Breeder tank on iron/welded steel stand, Fluvial heater, aqueon 40 filter, aquatop light, instant ocean protein skimmer (not in use all the time).

I keep Nitrates under 20 and know the equipment is not so hot.

Where would you go from here?

Your thoughts...
An all in one?
Premade setup without sump?
Premade setup with sump?
or build on what I got?

(Looking for advice on light and mechanical filtration in particular)

Any respond is welcome

Thank you, Mickey

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally go with a premade system with sump.
It may cost more, however you'll also have less to worry about, a company and community to support it as well as the overall "clean" look you get from a mass produced product.

As far as lighting goes, I can personally recommend you to look at ReeFi, it's a small boutique company that produce high quality lights for a reasonable price. I'll choose it every time over a Radion or other brand names, even if the price was the same.

Filtration - If you're in the US you probably have more options than I'm able to tell apart.
Probably better to wait for an American that knows the options available for you.
Personally I use a handmade Ukranian skimmer produced by A&C (you can read Jake Adams reviews) as well as a bubble magus roller mat and both are able to keep a 206g of SPS dominated, mixed reef pretty darn well.

Good Luck!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love setting up my own tanks, I'm not into AIO's.

Sounds like your tank is doing well. If it was my tank, I would keep the tank and just make a few upgrades:
-get new/better lights.
-get some powerheads in there (its not listed on your equipment list)
-get rid of the canister
-Replace the heater with a better brand and an inkbird

OP
OP
M

mthompson11235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I love setting up my own tanks, I'm not into AIO's.

Sounds like your tank is doing well. If it was my tank, I would keep the tank and just make a few upgrades:
-get new/better lights.
-get some powerheads in there (its not listed on your equipment list)
-get rid of the canister
-Replace the heater with a better brand and an inkbird
-New/better light thinking about Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 LED light for price/programmability-app/also again familiar with fresh water and Fluval is a good brand for fresh water.
-got 2 powerheads running no problem and backup in case, good call.
-Its worst then a canister its a 40 gallon hang on back.
-Not super concerned with heater although an additional check like inkbird might be good (Im in South Florida and cold is rare I worry more about if the heater does not shut off).

Sort of left thinking premade aquarium/stand/sump...or
box out stand with wood/drill a 40 breeder with diy sump

Check attached for an idea of what I got.

THANKS, Mickey

Attachments

• 20230125_012707-1.jpg
    20230125_012707-1.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 22

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-New/better light thinking about Fluval Sea Marine 3.0 LED light for price/programmability-app/also again familiar with fresh water and Fluval is a good brand for fresh water.
-got 2 powerheads running no problem and backup in case, good call.
-Its worst then a canister its a 40 gallon hang on back.
-Not super concerned with heater although an additional check like inkbird might be good (Im in South Florida and cold is rare I worry more about if the heater does not shut off).

Sort of left thinking premade aquarium/stand/sump...or
box out stand with wood/drill a 40 breeder with diy sump

Check attached for an idea of what I got.

THANKS, Mickey
I don't know about fluval freshwater, but I suggest to stay away from fluval marine lights, have never heard good things about that.

HOB filter is better than a canister, its more versatile, and easier to clean.

Your tank looks good, its nice start, but needs way more rock, normally should be close to a pound per gallon, rocks provide the surface area for nitrifying bacteria, basically the more rock you have the stronger the biofilter will be (google 'the berlin method', this is how a biofilter works on a salt tank).

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can afford it, I’d go bigger. I upgraded from a 45 to a 180 and absolutely love it… nearly unlimited fish options, real estate for coral, looking at the tank feels like snorkeling, the water volume makes everything easier / more forgiving. If you’re going to pour money into a whole new setup - go for something bigger.

OP
OP
M

mthompson11235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about fluval freshwater, but I suggest to stay away from fluval marine lights, have never heard good things about that.

HOB filter is better than a canister, its more versatile, and easier to clean.

Your tank looks good, its nice start, but needs way more rock, normally should be close to a pound per gallon, rocks provide the surface area for nitrifying bacteria, basically the more rock you have the stronger the biofilter will be (google 'the berlin method', this is how a biofilter works on a salt tank).
Ahhh you caught me on the rocks. I had way, way, way more rock work, but ran into a bristle worm problem so manual removed (plus a few dips) and only keep what I felt were bristle worm free. Originally bought live rock from a local fish store and an going to add more rock (so long as I am bristle worm free).

Thank you for all the help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back