Your Thoughts on The Hanna Nitrate Checker and 50ppm Test.

Would You Buy The Hanna HI781 Nitrate Tester?

• YES ASAP

• YES but maybe Later

• No It's to complicated

• No I am waiting for a simpler high range Version

Results are only viewable after voting.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly more involved than the other Hanna checkers, but that should be expected from a high quality nitrate assay. All of the colorimetric nitrate assays I've looked at require a reductase and two reagents; hence the extra steps.

I think it's probably more than most hobbyist want, but that could be said for any of the hanna checkers. Simple, visual reagent test will always be faster, but less accurate.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heck no!!! Way to many steps for a hobbie grade test kit. If you need to test low range it may not be too bad. But with current trends running nitrates anywhere from 5-20, how many are likely to use this to test there nitrates?

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly more involved than the other Hanna checkers, but that should be expected from a high quality nitrate assay. All of the colorimetric nitrate assays I've looked at require a reductase and two reagents; hence the extra steps.

I think it's probably more than most hobbyist want, but that could be said for any of the hanna checkers. Simple, visual reagent test will always be faster, but less accurate.
Why isn't there an easier way? Why can't we take the salifert/nyos style nitrate color scale tests and read them electronically?

I don't need hyper accurate results? I just need a test that doesn't ask me to judge fine color gradients - because I physically can't.

NigelRichardson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - but no. Definitely no.

Do you need to stand on one leg and then spin around before using the blunt syringe, or do you spin around and then stand on one leg before using the filter? I get so confused.

In all seriousness - I think this could be what happens when the lab team and the marketing team aren't in sync. I have no doubt this is an optimal chemical process for highly accurate measurement.... but for the consumer / average hobbyist - there's just no way this is workable...

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isn't there an easier way? Why can't we take the salifert/nyos style nitrate color scale tests and read them electronically?

I don't need hyper accurate results? I just need a test that doesn't ask me to judge fine color gradients - because I physically can't.
I am asking myself the same question. I know API is not the gold standard but it seems like this can be done with two liquid reagents. I really hope this was not just a move by Hanna to prevent Reefbot type devices from using their reagents.

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Colorimetric tests like the hanna checkers work by measuring how much of a known light source the reacted sample absorbs. The light source is chosen based on the reagent used for the test.

I vaguely remember hearing that people had figured out a conversion scale to use various hanna checkers with tests like nylos/safert. I've also heard of people using generic colorimeters and spectrometers to the same end. My understanding is that this is how the ReefBot product also works.

So it's possible, but IIUC the devil is in the details regarding the light source and absorption of the reagent. It may be that the reagents used by common tests like nylos/salifert are not conducive to colorimetric measurement.

It can be tested though; would be great to see some data.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used salifert forever and just started using Nyos.
I can see Nyos colors better, getting old, lol.
As long as my no3 is <5 im not going to worry so I will not be getting one.
I do like their po4 kit as I run it at .02-.04.

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would bother me I don’t mind testing my water quality I enjoy it

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been rewatching that Hanna video over the past few days when I need a laugh. The part where they mention the filter disc for the first time gets me every single time.

OP
OP
robbyg

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been rewatching that Hanna video over the past few days when I need a laugh. The part where they mention the filter disc for the first time gets me every single time.
I have been giving the thought of buying this a second, third and even a fourth look and my conclusion is that if it was not for the digital readout this whole testing process would be so outlandish that I doubt any company could sell ten of the units. So yes Hanna slaps that digital readout on the test kit but after all those steps I wonder how accurate are the readings.

If there ever was a time for a BSR investigates episode it would be now. I would love to see five regular aquarium guys with five kits check some 1.5ppm and 10ppm calibration fluid and see what each guy gets from his test.

Then I would love to see a second very precise test done by a testing expert to see how close you can possibly get.

Gatorheadman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watched the video. I’ll stick to nyos. Way too many steps and I’m sure there are going to be bugs that will need to be worked out. Disappointing.

U

User1

View Badges
Hard no. I’ll take my nyos test instead.

Agreed. Nyos is hands down one of the best, if not THE best, on the market. I am a huge fan of Hanna for their phosphate and alk kits. Really great units, easy to use, quick, and consistent. This test kit though not so sure based on the amount of time, steps, and overall number of tests I'd use it for.

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many steps to potentially screw up.
Ill definitely be waiting for a higher range version.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back