Your walkthrough of the AI Nero 5 pump! | BRStv Spotlight

Discussion in 'Bulk Reef Supply' started by randyBRS, Feb 6, 2019.

1. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Host :-) R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Reefers!

While I wait for some results for some testing I'm doing on salt mixes, we thought we'd bring it back to the BRStv Spotlights to highlight the latest creation from AquaIllumination, the Nero 5. :)

Gino and Gordon Tuttle like this.

2. Haggisman14

Haggisman14 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Love my Nero 5!

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Partner Member 2019 Cyber Monday Sponsor R2R Secret Santa Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Nice video!

randyBRS likes this.
  4. dallast

dallast Active Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019

I think I want one!

5. Johnny M

Johnny M Active Member R2R Supporter NJRC Member

Can't believe u guys didn't have the problem like many of us who bought these pumps about weak inner - wet - magnet barely holding pump on 1/2" glass. AI appears to be aware of problem I sent them video's of it 2 months ago, but support keeps saying "engineering" is working on it. FYI check out thread on R2R - problem with new nero 5 pump.

ReefyB likes this.
  6. Johnny M

Repeat sorry

7. robmiller2

robmiller2 Member Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

Love my Nero 5 so far. Probably going to have to get another one when I upgrade tanks.

8. Johnny M

Do u have 1/2" thick glass and if so u have no problem with pump "moving" around when in pulse mode or just gently touching it or the power cord it falls off the wet magnet holding it? Then u are one of the few lucky ones. Did u checkout the thread "having problems with new nero 5 pump"?

9. robmiller2

robmiller2 Member Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

No it’s only 6mm in my 15 gallon Waterbox so no issues right now. Upgrading to a 75 in a couple months, I may have issues then.

10. Johnny M

Oh. Ok. Once u get up 12mm thickness u will have problems.

11. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

I have it on my deep blue 80 with no issues. The magnet problem sucks but if you have thinner glass it is a great pump.

12. SKYHIGGh

SKYHIGGh Active Member

I have one on my wish list right now ughhh. 300 is a lot though for me almost a big splurge, Although that’s based on perspective some people are rich.

I do want one over a mp10 for my tank

13. authentic

authentic Well-Known Member

Mine is kept up with the help of my lid on 1/2 in glass,,,have had issues with small inverts getting in and stopping the blade

14. JDowns

JDowns Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

I have to agree with others that the magnet force on 1/2" glass is a bit of a bummer.

This is a great little mid range powerhead, less powerful than a MP40 and more than a MP10, way less powerful than a WAV, but for some setups like I'm doing with my tank (4) powerheads to randomize flow evenly is a bonus. I currently run (2) MP40's on pulse at 50% to create a standing wave, then (2) WAV on Rincon at 4%. The WAV's are really overkill for that extra random flow, but the corals love it.

I can see why the magnet is not as powerful as it should be due to its slim profile. It's possible that with a more powerful magnet, and the motor being that close to the glass, that a more powerful magnet may be a problem with interference with the motor itself.

The magnet isn't half bad when direct, but if you pivot the powerhead than its game over, thats for sure. I'm hoping with a few small modifications I can get it to work, because I'm really liking the slim design, the fact that its 24VDC and with a patch wire can be hooked up directly to a 24VDC APEX port. The bluetooth app needs a bit of work. Trying to use the sliders for pulse mode is ridiculous, they really should have a manual input or an up/down arrow for adjustment. Other than that its a pretty nice little pump. I'm hoping they make some adjustments the next go around.

Draft saved Draft deleted