You're not going to believe this... I actually got my camera out yesterday!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah I have really struggled the last couple years with photography and nearly devout procrastination as many, many of you are well aware of. "Got colony shots of the fill in the blank" is a question I get asked a lot! So what happened? Where did I get lost, or loose my mojo?

Well it all started a few years ago. I'm pretty sure of this now. It was at this time I started shooting under LEDs and more importantly under blue, to deep blue in order to portray some of these pieces that really do shine under blue light. I could go on about how this has really changed the landscape of photography and coral portrayal and appeal in the hobby, however that's a subject for another write up.

But, let me just back up a second and remind you that I honestly loved shooting under halide. In fact 90% of the pics on my site are still 20k radium pics for sure. I'd shoot in RAW and edit in Lightroom and all was well with the world. My method, while always being streamlined worked well and the end results were very acceptable to me.

But once I started shooting and experimenting with bluer light I feel just never really hit the mark. The process became way less rewarding and more deflating and even daunting and my spark really went out.

Well, last week in a post by @ryshark about my stale homepage and very little activity overall seemed to reignite that spark in fact I really needs to hear that and I did get fired up again. Only I said to myself, "let's forget the blue light antics and stick with what I know."

So this week I did just that. Forget filters, forget wacky white balance settings and all the riff raff I put myself through trying to get the perfect shot under lighting I'm not crazy about. I finally went back to my old friend the 20k, and to my modest delight, I am once again pretty happy with the results.

Here's a few, handheld, f2 shots I cranked out. The good news is I will finally be adding as many as I can to the site, as I get things shot. Thanks to everyone who has been waiting for your extended patience!

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869-3.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I have really struggled the last couple years with photography and nearly devout procrastination as many, many of you are well aware of. "Got colony shots of the fill in the blank" is a question I get asked a lot! So what happened? Where did I get lost, or loose my mojo?

Well it all started a few years ago. I'm pretty sure of this now. It was at this time I started shooting under LEDs and more importantly under blue, to deep blue in order to portray some of these pieces that really do shine under blue light. I could go on about how this has really changed the landscape of photography and coral portrayal and appeal in the hobby, however that's a subject for another write up.

But, let me just back up a second and remind you that I honestly loved shooting under halide. In fact 90% of the pics on my site are still 20k radium pics for sure. I'd shoot in RAW and edit in Lightroom and all was well with the world. My method, while always being streamlined worked well and the end results were very acceptable to me.

But once I started shooting and experimenting with bluer light I feel just never really hit the mark. The process became way less rewarding and more deflating and even daunting and my spark really went out.

Well, last week in a post by @ryshark about my stale homepage and very little activity overall seemed to reignite that spark in fact I really needs to hear that and I did get fired up again. Only I said to myself, "let's forget the blue light antics and stick with what I know."

So this week I did just that. Forget filters, forget wacky white balance settings and all the riff raff I put myself through trying to get the perfect shot under lighting I'm not crazy about. I finally went back to my old friend the 20k, and to my modest delight, I am once again pretty happy with the results.

Here's a few, handheld, f2 shots I cranked out. The good news is I will finally be adding as many as I can to the site, as I get things shot. Thanks to everyone who has been waiting for your extended patience!

IMG_1868.jpg

IMG_1869-3.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg
Very nice, those look awesome. Thanks @Battlecorals

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was just there again window shopping ,,spent about a hour lol
In the sale your NOT going to have definitely do not have any WASP NEST,AGE OF FIRE, OR HYPERBERRY !
You really do have amazing corals ! I love your site !
Oh I am definitely having a sale soon, mark my word

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I am definitely having a sale soon, mark my word

There's a few hidden gems in some of those packs I've been itching to get. Any reason some of those aren't individually advertised on the site?

I was very close to hitting send on an email during your last sale to ask about possibly getting a custom pack that included Wasp Nest...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There's a few hidden gems in some of those packs I've been itching to get. Any reason some of those aren't individually advertised on the site?

I was very close to hitting send on an email during your last sale to ask about possibly getting a custom pack that included Wasp Nest...
Oh yes, the very reason hemmed at in the first post. Lol. whether it’s sheer laziness , procrastination or lack of enthusiasm, I am so behind on pictures it’s just not even funny, but I’m hoping with this new enthusiasm to start getting caught up.

oh, and wasp nest, I finally got it on the site last night. I actually took this pic in January and I can offer no excuse or explanation on Why I waited so long to actually put it up on the site.

Here’s a pic.

Bc wasp nest
C2772D2A-421F-4A92-ADF6-178366E48F0F.jpeg

194BC2A7-A78B-4FEF-BDC8-63ECB738D1B6.jpeg

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It's good to see the old picture style back!
Amen to that. Thank you! I know that you specifically were not impressed by my blue light shots. And I very much understand.

Always learning my man l, or willing to at least:)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back