Yuma having issues.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first thought is the cleaner shrimp is doing this. Is that possible? I've seen him on the mushroom quite often.

It's like his orange nubiles are disappearing and leaving this neon green behind.

Could this be the cleaner shrimp or if not what else ?

Thanks!
IMG_20181201_104010.jpeg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and get a better photo. I have six of them in a tank with two skunk cleaner shrimp and other then stealing food from the Yuma the shrimp are no problem.

OP
OP
dopey

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Sorry for delay.

I've had the yuma for about 7 months now. It's grown, and has dropped(?) a couple babies along the way. I had it mounted on the rock, but my resident hermit crab did what he does best and knocked it down:D

When the yuma was knocked down, it was still attached so it's foot was quite stretched. Over the course of a week or two it left two smaller pieces of itself on the main rock which have begun growing.

I wasn't able to get it back mounted when it was still partially connected so thought better to let it naturally either let go or leave part of itself behind.

Here is how it was looking before being knocked off the rock.
IMG_20181030_214144_743.jpg

As I mentioned it has seemingly started to lose it's little orange dots. here it is now:
IMG_20181202_135121.jpg

Just below it's mouth, there is no orange dots anymore. I think the cleaner shrimp may be innocent, and instead it's merely eating the dead neon green 'skin' that is being left behind as the dots go away?

I mounted it back up last night, hoping this is just a combination of it leaving part of it's foot behind over the last few weeks + it was on a tiny tiny piece of rock so was probably just not happy in general.

The two green dots behind the yuma is the pieces of it's foot it left behind:)

As for tank measurements, i'm fixen to do a fresh round today.
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: Ranges 77.9-79.25 throughout the week, average is 78.58F
Nitrate: Usually around 20(Will get a fresh number today)
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Alk: Will check today
Phosphate.. Not tested in a long time to be honest.

Recent changes:
I added a bag of carbon/GFO to help fight an pest algae I stupidly brought in with my tank a week ago.
No new tank additions over past month.

Feeding: 1 cube of mysis every 1-2 days.

I do a 30% water change weekly using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt + RODI water from a spectrupure unit -- which to be honest is one reason I don't obsess on testing. So far as long as I maintained the Water Change regimen, everything else seems to fall in place:D
No dosing of anything(See large water change above instead)

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pretty much the same yuma in my tank, but kinda by accident, a reefer gave it to me when it was a tiny nub and he thought it was a mushroom, later I thought he gave me a ric, but now it's size makes me realize it's a yuma, and while I love yuma's like many others, way too many experienced people have always told me they just end up melting, so I've avoided them.

Not knowing your full situation it was easy for me to assume that's all it was.
Hopefully yours pulls through, but just know they can be sensitive compared to rics, which are much easier.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My Yuma of this color has same appearance with Green and is healthy and Large.
I would look at location and relocate it to the lower third or even half way rather than bottom which sand and other particles can get on it and stress it out. 1.025 salinity seems favorable as is moderate flow and adequate (not Bright) light. I feed 2X week with Reef roids

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back