YWG and Bicolor Blenny - aggression issues

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a 32g BioCube currently with 2 clowns, a bicolor blenny, and watchman goby.

I got the bicolor blenny and watchman goby from the same store (and in the same tank at the store) on the same day. So they were already living with each other. I brought them home and after a few weeks there is increased aggression. I'm super bummed because I really wanted my YWG to pair with the pistol shrimp in my tank, and from research I didn't think there would be any problem keeping a bicolor and YWG together. My bicolor blenny charges toward my YWG and forces him to hover near the top of the tank for hours on end which is pretty sad and definitely exhausts the goby. When I had my 13.5g Evo, I had a Randall's Goby and Bicolor Blenny and they got along fine in that smaller tank. There's way more room and hiding spots in this tank, so I don't understand the aggression.

I think either I got a super aggressive bicolor blenny, or a not so great/confused YWG because he hasn't even found a burrow yet (hasn't seemed to do normal "goby" stuff like sifting in these past weeks). What do you guys think? What should I do? Are YWG that much different than Randall's gobies?

I tried removing the YWG from the situation because he was easier to catch and put him in a hang on box so he could regain his strength and eat some food. Well... when I thought he was rested after a few days, I released him back to the display in the dark and IMMEDIATELY the bicolor blenny swam out to charge at him and the YWG attacked back, so now my blenny has a gash on it's head, which of course now I'm worried about for infection. Any advice would be very much appreciated. I don't want to lose both fish and that is what it feels like is happening.

jcbasile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try catching the bicolor blenny and allowing the YWG to settle in? I have a YWG currently (paired with a pistol shrimp) and a tailspot blenny. They get along completely fine but I know bicolors are a bit more aggressive. My YWG did fight consistently with a royal gramma I had and the royal gramma ended up dying after being continuously injured so that is a possibility.

You could try putting up a mirror against the side of the tank and the bicolor may be distracted for a bit with that. Just curious, how long have both of them been in the tank together?

OP
OP
Zoe’s Reef

Zoe’s Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try catching the bicolor blenny and allowing the YWG to settle in? I have a YWG currently (paired with a pistol shrimp) and a tailspot blenny. They get along completely fine but I know bicolors are a bit more aggressive. My YWG did fight consistently with a royal gramma I had and the royal gramma ended up dying after being continuously injured so that is a possibility.

You could try putting up a mirror against the side of the tank and the bicolor may be distracted for a bit with that. Just curious, how long have both of them been in the tank together?
I'll see if I can sneak up on it, but my bicolor is so good at hiding in the rocks haha. I know catching the bicolor would be ideal because then the YWG could set up it's territory, so we'll see if I'm able to catch it.

The mirror is a great idea, definitely going to try that. Both of them have been in the tank for just over 3 weeks now, and the aggressive behavior really started about a week and a half ago. But at my LFS they were in the same tank together for at least 3 weeks as well.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set a fish trap to catch the bi- color. Remove him from the tank for as long as you can. Bonus points if you can change a rock or two so he will think it's a new setting. This should upset his dominance position in the tank. Good luck

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back