YWG and pistol shrimp, harm coral?

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this pair for 6+ months, only other inhabitants are 2 scarlet hermets, 1 turbo snail and a scarlet cleaner shrimp. nothing else in a 36 bow, besides coral. Mostly LPS and a few softies. I have seen the pistol drag anything he can into thier home. But today one of my euyphilla right by thier burrow was half destroyed, the pistol has buried low lying mushrooms, but has any one witnessed a pistol shrimp harm a hammer? Or any other coral while trying to improve its burrow?

Sorry no pictures tonight. My lights are off.

Thanks in advance

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not.

I would look for another cause..Unless the pistol dragged the coral around causing physical damage.

You never know with inverts though, some become opportunistic feeders. With that in mind is the pistol eating well and routinely?

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the hammer in the sand by the burrow?

YWG should be totally safe with coral, but will bury or otherwise rearrange things. I wouldn't keep any corals that i cared about in the sand while keeping a watchman or sleeper goby.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as much as I enjoyed my pistol shrimp, you do have to ps proof the tank. Lps on the sand bed can get buried in sand and low lying coral can get damaged. You have to place your corals a bit up on the rock scrape. Mine would drag any frag within a certain height perimeter into his cave. He also built a mountain of snail skulls at one of the openings.

OP
OP
Scotty Buttons

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the replies, the hammer looks perfectly normal today, so I'm not sure what made it so mad last night, just glad it's recovered. The Pistol and WYG are one of my favorite symbiotic pairs but they can be a pain. Definitely make a mess of the sand and anything that's not anchored down turns into building materials.

Back