Zebra bar dart fish swimming erratically and spinning? What happened?

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so I have a 40 gallon IM cube that I set up the first week of May with live rock and running filter floss and media bag and carbon bag. I have a green chromis (full grown- sometimes a bully), 2 blacker mocha ice clowns, and then a zebra bar dart fish that I added 3 weeks ago.

Zebra bar was shy at first and then by last week was finally coming out of his hide and eating with all the other fish during feeding, things looked to be going well. Then today I looked at my tank and saw the zebra bar swimming erratically all over the place while doing this torpedo spinning? Also looks like eyes were bulging a little bit. I will try to attach a video I got but I’m wondering what happened? Did the chromis bully him to death?

Attachments

• IMG_8627.MOV
    9.9 MB
  • IMG_8628.MOV
    11.4 MB

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so I have a 40 gallon IM cube that I set up the first week of May with live rock and running filter floss and media bag and carbon bag. I have a green chromis (full grown- sometimes a bully), 2 blacker mocha ice clowns, and then a zebra bar dart fish that I added 3 weeks ago.

Zebra bar was shy at first and then by last week was finally coming out of his hide and eating with all the other fish during feeding, things looked to be going well. Then today I looked at my tank and saw the zebra bar swimming erratically all over the place while doing this torpedo spinning? Also looks like eyes were bulging a little bit. I will try to attach a video I got but I’m wondering what happened? Did the chromis bully him to death?
quite possibly a spinal injury from an attempted jump.

OP
OP
B

BettyWhiteTheClownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quite possibly a spinal injury from an attempted jump.
Only time I’ve seen or heard him jump was when I first added him… that day he tried to jump out 3 times so I have kept a lid on it and since then he just runs to his hole he made… I’m wondering if the chromis being a bully could have forced him to jump?

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time I’ve seen or heard him jump was when I first added him… that day he tried to jump out 3 times so I have kept a lid on it and since then he just runs to his hole he made… I’m wondering if the chromis being a bully could have forced him to jump?
that's definitely a possibility, or something else could have spooked him. Either way he hit the lid hard. I had a purple firefish do this years ago and it was pretty much instantly fatal so I'd say your guy's chance of recovery is pretty slim unfortunately

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back