Zebrasoma xanthurum white spots

vollkomm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

The day before yesterday I brought home this purple tang with a salarias fasciatus. They are both currently in an observation quarantine tank. The next morning, small white dots appeared around the eyes, on the front fins and on the left side of the tang, but nothing visible on the salarias.

Both fish are eating normally and are active, but the tang has a clicky movement. Please help me identify the white dots on the tang, are they ich, mucus or something else?

If ich CP treatment can be suitable for them?
If you need any further information, please let me know!

Thank you,
Joe

Screenshot_20231119_104905_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20231119_105007_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20231118_100410.mp4
    35.9 MB
  • 20231118_100410.mp4
    35.9 MB

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you just acquired these fish and have them in a QT, I suggest you follow the standard QT protocol. Assuming you can get CopperPower or CopperSafe preferably, or Cupramine. While the tang may or may not have ich, QT with theraputic treatment is the recommended approach. Please see the referenced link below.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

The day before yesterday I brought home this purple tang with a salarias fasciatus. They are both currently in an observation quarantine tank. The next morning, small white dots appeared around the eyes, on the front fins and on the left side of the tang, but nothing visible on the salarias.

Both fish are eating normally and are active, but the tang has a clicky movement. Please help me identify the white dots on the tang, are they ich, mucus or something else?

Thank you,
Joe

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, that may be the start of marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans. In the US, the best treatment is either hyposalinity or Coppersafe. I've used chloroquine, but we cannot get that drug very easily now.

I like to use hyposalinity because it also takes care of flukes, which both of these species are known to get. Here is a post about that:

Finally, getting salarias blennies through quarantine can be difficult - they like to graze on algae, and your tank won't have any algae in it. You can try Nori, or perhaps some frozen foods with algae in it.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey Guys!

Thank you,
Joe

In your country, you should have Aquasonic Oodinex and even coppersafe. Yesterday you said flukes- be careful treating for correct symptom rather than guesses.

OP
OP
V

vollkomm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Yes, that may be the start of marine ich, Cryptocaryon irritans. In the US, the best treatment is either hyposalinity or Coppersafe. I've used chloroquine, but we cannot get that drug very easily now.

I like to use hyposalinity because it also takes care of flukes, which both of these species are known to get. Here is a post about that:

Finally, getting salarias blennies through quarantine can be difficult - they like to grave on algae, and your tank won't have any algae in it. You can try Nori, or perhaps some frozen foods with algae in it.

Jay
I prepared for the arrival of the herbivores, so there is a lot of algae in the quarantine tank at the moment.

Because of the hyposalinity, do you think it would be advisable to first clean the aquarium of the algae, because I think they would die and start to decompose unnecessarily in the water, or would copper be a more optimal solution in this case? If hyposalinity is the solution, is it appropriate to control the ammonia with zeolite?

By the way, I can solve pharmaceutical grade CP.

Regardless of the above, which solution do you think puts the least burden on the fish and which provides the most comprehensive protection (hyposalinity, copper, CP or something else)?

Thank you very much,
Joe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prepared for the arrival of the herbivores, so there is a lot of algae in the quarantine tank at the moment.

Because of the hyposalinity, do you think it would be advisable to first clean the aquarium of the algae, because I think they would die and start to decompose unnecessarily in the water, or would copper be a more optimal solution in this case? If hyposalinity is the solution, is it appropriate to control the ammonia with zeolite?

By the way, I can solve pharmaceutical grade CP.

Regardless of the above, which solution do you think puts the least burden on the fish and which provides the most comprehensive protection (hyposalinity, copper, CP or something else)?

Thank you very much,
Joe

CP will actually kill all of the algae at once, causing an even greater issue than hyposalinity does.

If you want to preserve most of the algae, Coppersafe or Copper Power would be the best choice if you can acquire that quickly enough.

Otherwise, hyposalinity at 1.009 specific gravity would be my choice, watching the ammonia level and offset any ammonia build up. Hypo has the added benefit of controlling flukes. I don't see evidence of flukes, yet, but all new fish should be treated for them.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back