Zeovit or Red Sea Reef Care Program?

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to improve the growth rate and coloration of my corals. I have a mixed tank with SPS, LPS, and some soft corals. I am not achieving the growth rates, polyp extension or coloration that I would like. So, I have been considering switching my current mixed-brand approach to Zeovit or Red Sea RCP? Would either of these achieve similar results? Which would you use and why?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeo is a great product but I find that if you don't do the whole program results can very.

Wolff92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed reviews of Zeovit. You are essentially starving your tank of nutrients. If your tank is doing well don't change to Zeovit. Red Sea pro additives are good but can get expensive. In my sps tank I dose alk, mag, calcium, and I use Fuel once a week half the dose. I get amazing polyp extension, great color, and growth. It's like 10 bucks for a small bottle and will last about a month and a half or longer depending the size of your tank. It replenishes trace elements as well a providing a phyto plankton food source. Better than Acropower in my opinion.

NicksMixedReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen nice tank with both products, but I've also seen nice tanks that don't dose anything but fish poo. Long term use might burn you out of the hobby. Personally I like to keep things as simple as can be! But if you have the money and plan to do it for a long time, go ahead!!

Daytonareefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeovit will cost more than Red Sea but I had very good results from zeovit I do run the whole program and I been having trouble the last couple months with Red Seas Aiptasia X. The last few bottles will not stay mixed and when the product is made correctly it stays mixed for weeks not to say I don't shake it but I used enough bottles they have a problem so I told them and they did send a replacement bottle after 6 weeks of emails so they know there's a problem but I finally just bought some Berghia's to fix my problem and no more Red Sea products for me. I had an issue with a AI Hydra 26 and I got new parts from Ecotech Marine no questions asked in a few days. That's service. I guess Ecotech must have bought Aqua Illumination.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was really impressed with the Red Sea Coral Colors additives, although I've never used Zeovit, I'd rather give my corals as much food as possible.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not convinced that the pure chemical additives do much for color or growth (unless they are killing off zoox and making the pastel colors that Zeovit is known for that way), but feeding corals certainly will help with growth and possibly coloration, as will keeping nutrients at appropriate levels however you do it.

OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy and all the other for the feedback/advice. I am concerned my hybrid brand approach is not helping my situation. I did go ahead and purchase the Red Sea RCP to include salt and am going to give it a go. I already owned all the test kits anyway so it was not too expensive. I will use this as an opportunity to capture before and after pics and parameters. After about 6 months, I will switch to zevoit if I do t get the changes I am hoping for. Thanks again everyone!

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy and all the other for the feedback/advice. I am concerned my hybrid brand approach is not helping my situation. I did go ahead and purchase the Red Sea RCP to include salt and am going to give it a go. I already owned all the test kits anyway so it was not too expensive. I will use this as an opportunity to capture before and after pics and parameters. After about 6 months, I will switch to zevoit if I do t get the changes I am hoping for. Thanks again everyone!

So what was the final verdict? Which worked better for you: Red Sea or Zeovit?

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ventured into Zeo for a bit but found it pretty darn expensive if you were to get the full line of products that could be applied to a general tank. RS is pretty impressive for it's simplicity. Both systems you'll want dosers for imo.(drew's dosers rock btw, 100$ for a dependable, simple 4-roller; simple plug on/off)

OP
OP
samba_dad

samba_dad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually switched from Red Sea to Aquaforest. I really struggled with the RCP. My primary issue was the really high alkalinity values that had me regularly killing SPS. Switching to Aquaforest was by far the best thing I have ever done for my reef tank. SPS (multiple varieties from acropora, Montipora) are growing like crazy in my tank after this switch. So it has truly been a night/day transition for me.

I had to wait for my alkalinity to drop down to 8 from 11.6 dKH before starting to use the AF Balling method. Once I got the alkalinity down to around 8, I saw something I never had seen before - polyp extension on my acros. In fact, I had a nice 3" frag of a green acro that I thought had completely died. After the AF transition, it came back to life at the tips and has been growing around 1/8" weekly. I've never experienced anything like this in my reefing experience and I am super happy with the AF products. I'll try to get some pictures with my DSLR this weekend so folks can see the remarkable difference.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back