Zeovit reef tanks of the world

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new to KZ and loving it. I purchased the reactor and have noticed when it shakes the corals respond. My N03 and P04 are low .01/1. I’m not chasing numbers.
Numbers are backwards, N03 is 1, P04 is .01

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is exceptable with zeovit however I prefer no3 5-10ppm and no3 0.08-0.15
Yes, I’ve read that in your threads. It’s just where this tank likes it at the moment. I’m upping dosing now, watching corals. Cutting back on Zeodtart3.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good enough answer for me, I just needed to know what's the difference in between different products. I am gonna pull the trigger, I already had everything in my BRS's cart. Thx guys, I deeply appreciate the help.
You might want to check out the Zeovit.com too. The FAQ in the general forum (english) has a wealth of information. The moderator will give you dosing advice based on Zeovit recommendations as well.

Anthony is great source for practical application of the products. There is no question Anthony’s tank is beautiful. It is the tank that inspired me to try Zeovit in the first place.

I am following pretty faithfully at the moment. I am 6 months in and so far so good.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I gotta admit, I got a little carry away and bought a few extra KZ additives. I bought (and just received):

ZEOstart 3
ZEObak
ZEOfood
Coral Snow
Sponge Power
Coral Vitalizer

I have a few questions -

None of the bottles say anything about turning off your skimmer. Is it best to turn off your skimmer for few hours on any of them (like BW's Reef BioFuel (carbon dosing) recommends)?

I got the plain Coral Snow, but what's the the the difference between Coral Snow and Coral Snow Plus? I am assuming the "Plus" has LaCl in it...true?

I made a dosing schedule, does everything look okay? I went by a volume of 80g.

1598423386756.png

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not turn off the skimmer because all the KZ products require strong skimming and you notice the increased skimmer production when dosing the products. I especially would not turn it off while using coral snow plus just in case it does contain LaCl. They will not let you know what is the extra ingredients are in the plus version or any other blue bottle for that matter.

Your schedule seems reasonable although I would not use zeofood unless you are showing undetectable N&P or at least very low or use much less than recommended. Also do not forget to change your schedule with the change of zeolites in relation to zeobak.

Last edited:

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a list of KZ products positive and negative expected results I found online. Useful info for users to keep handy.

Organic:
In general, overdosing organic substances leads to all kinds of undesirable results such as nuisance algae, cyano, bacteria blooms, etc.

Amino Acid LPS
Intended use: Coral food
Positive results: Growth, general color, PE
OD Symptoms: Brown & light green film, darkening

Amino Acid HC
Positive results: Growth, general color, PE
OD Symptoms: Brown & light green film, darkening

Sponge Power
Intended use: Increased sponge growth
Positive results: Enhanced coral growth, thicker tissue, increased sponge growth
OD Symptoms: Brown film

ZEObac
Intended use: Establish biological filtration, coral food
Positive results: Nutrient reduction, color enhancer
OD Symptoms: Browning, darkening , transparent slimy patches

ZEOfood7
Intended use: Increase coral and bacteria growth.
Positive results: Nitrate and nitrite are reduced
OD Symptoms: Nuisance algae, cyano, darkening, brown film

ZEOlive
Intended use: Liquid filter medium, remove yellowing compounds, nitrate, phosphate
Positive results:
OD Symptoms:

ZEOstart
Intended use: Accelerates the cycling process in new tanks, color enhancer, soft coral growth and PE
Positive results: Growth , PO4 und NO3 reduction
OD Symptoms: brown film forming air bubbles at lighting period

ZEOzym
Intended use: Improved biological functions, Better coral growth, Cleaner sand, Helps combat slime algae & cyanobacteria, improved skimming
Positive results: Reduced sludge on live rock and sand.
OD Symptoms: Temporary yellowing of water , temporary increase of PO4 in older nutrient richer systems

Inorganic:
In general, overdosing inorganic substances can lead to severe problems due to toxicity. STN and RTN are 2 forms of tissue death we can experience.

Zeolites
Intended use: Polish water, remove toxins
Positive results: Clearer water, lower nutrients
OD Symptoms: Pale coral colors and reduced PE due to rapid nutrient reduction, RTN, coral death

Carbon
Intended use: Nitrate and phosphate removal
Positive results: Clearer water
OD Symptoms: Pale coral colors and reduced PE due to rapid nutrient reduction, burnt tips

Calcium Plus
Intended use: Increases calcium
Positive results: Increased calcium levels
OD Symptoms: Precipitation

Iodide Complex
Intended use: Color enhancer, aid crustation molting
Positive results: Lower death rate during crustation molting, PE
OD Symptoms: Yellow corals turn green, darkening of SPS, increase of cyano if they are already established in the system

Iron
Intended use: Color enhancer
Positive results: Increased green color
OD Symptoms: Nuisance algae growth, green shimmer on yellow corals , darkening of SPS tissue

KH Plus
Intended use: Increases alkalinity
Positive results: Coral growth, natural alk levels (6.5-7.5 dKH)*
* SeaChem Reef Salt user should aim for 8.5dKH
OD Symptoms: High alk readings, burnt tips

Coral Snow
Intended use: Nutrient delivery, secondary biological facilitator
Positive results: Can remove cyano
OD Symptoms:

Magnesium Complex
Intended use: Raise magnesium levels
Positive results: Increased growth, stabile calcium and alk
OD Symptoms: High magnesium readings, burnt tips

B-Balance
Intended use: Color enhancer
Positive results: Slow lighting in SPS tissue, increase of coloration
OD Symptoms:

Coral Vitalizer
Positive results: Coral growth, PE
OD Symptoms: Brown film

K-Balance Potassium (Strong)
Intended use: Raise potassium levels, increase growth and coloration
Positive results: Natural K+ levels (380-400mg/l) , increase in several colors, PE, thicker tissue, growth
OD Symptoms: Burnt tips, darkening, algae growth, brown film

Xtra
Intended use: Color and growth enhancer
Positive results: increase of SPS coral coloration / tips
OD Symptoms: Darkening

Potassium Iodide Fluoride
Intended use: enhances blue colors
Positive results: increase of several colors / PE
OD Symptoms: Darkening, yellow corals turn green , increase of cyano if already established in the system

Strontium Complex
Intended use: Growth enhancer
Positive results:
OD Symptoms:

Stylo-Pocci-Glow
Intended use: Specifically for seriatopora, stylophora and poccilopora. This supplement will bring out the original color of these animals with daily dosing.
Positive results: slow lighting of tissue in those corals
OD Symptoms: if continuous overdosed in high quantities clams might retract

ZEOspur
Intended use: Color enhancer, trace elements
Positive results: Lighting of SPS tissue, increase of several colors
OD Symptoms: Bleaching

ZEOspur Macro
Intended use: Contains various metal salts, trace elements
Positive results: Coloration
OD Symptoms: Darkening

ZEOspur2
Intended use: Color enhancer, trace elements
Positive results: Lighting of SPS tissue, increase of several colors
OD Symptoms: Bleaching

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the notion to limit the use of ZeoFood. It is very strong stuff and can quickly cause brown film if the tank does not need it. I would just use CV for now and only use ZF when you are more familiar with the system.

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your schedule seems reasonable although I would not use zeofood unless you are showing undetectable N&P or at least very low or use much less than recommended. Also do not forget to change your schedule with the change of zeolites in relation to zeobak.
I second the notion to limit the use of ZeoFood. It is very strong stuff and can quickly cause brown film if the tank does not need it. I would just use CV for now and only use ZF when you are more familiar with the system.

Okay, I am glad that I asked, I will put it on the back burner. Thank you for the input.

Tom Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I am glad that I asked, I will put it on the back burner. Thank you for the input.
The rest of your schedule looked fine. Just put the zeofood on the back burner. :) Also, Coral Snow is a problem solver so you don’t need to use it daily. It won’t harm anything though.

Last edited:

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The different between dosing vodka and zeostart3 is vodka contain single strain of bacteria and zeostart3 has multi strain of bacteria. You want to build up your tank biology with more diversity beneficial bacteria and microorganisms.

Vodka is just food source for feeding bacteria. If zeostart3 is a carbon source I don’t see how it could have anything to do with having more bacteria variety. It might feed a different type of bacteria but how would that be better? Diversity would come from whatever is already in your tank, or whatever bacteria product your using to supplement your bacteria population. Ime carbon dosing doesn’t need bottled bacteria to work well. I have added it in times where something was off, nutrient wise, and I didn’t know why. Or if I added fish but never saw any difference that time for things to recover couldn’t be the explanation for in the end.

Zeovit is a carbon dosing, low nutrient system. Ycnibrc, is using it differently than zeovit prescribes. Zeovit wants you to use the bottles according to what your tank is telling you it needs which is kinda hard for a beginner to do. I would be careful which additives you use if you have a high nutrient system because in most cases it’s just a waste if you don’t have a ultra low nutrient tank. Zeovit is like taking out everything and basically adding back what the coral needs. Imo I would not call keeping nutrients in the tank and dosing a few bottles being on the zeovit program. True zeovit tanks are rare these days and have bright, light pastel colors that glow. I would love to see one in person again. I haven’t for maybe going on 8 years :(
I'm following this thread to possibly try this.
I want to know the pros as well as the cons, or that it's just extra unnecessary steps.
This post on the last page was not addressed. Can someone help?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this thread to possibly try this.
I want to know the pros as well as the cons, or that it's just extra unnecessary steps.
This post on the last page was not addressed. Can someone help?
Which post are you referring to?

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That post was just a statement except for this question, which would be better asked to someone like Randy Holmes-Farley.

"It might feed a different type of bacteria but how would that be better?"

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s nice to have some Zeovit users in one place. I have been running it for 3 months now. I switched over my 75g sps reef that was a year old.

Notknowing what’s in each bottle can be frustrating but if you read between the lines, look around and gain a general understanding of trace elements and food types you can make a good guess.

my tank was always low nutrient before I switched to Zeovit as I was carbon dosing already. Addition of the zeolites seemed to enhance the carbon dosing effects.

my tank is a bit of a mess by my standards as treating bryopsis with Fluconazole meant no skimming for 3 weeks. A build up of organics from not skimming and a subsequent drop when the skimmer was turned on didn’t do the corals well but things are coming back 2 weeks later.

The zeolites are due for a change but as I have just added new acropora I will leave it 10 days and see how the settle in first.
Nutrients are no3-2.5 and phosphate 0.02. I believe this is. My tank tends to prefer closer to zero for both but it’ll do for now.
08C036EF-199E-47EA-8635-705CDC81747F.jpeg
281083BE-FF83-4A91-9CA1-05B1746B6C8E.jpeg
E860FF77-338C-4B39-971E-AD85B2DC4AA7.jpeg
904D6ABA-A6BF-4B8F-8696-D67BD130E706.jpeg
3F11631D-D0B2-48BA-8590-205255C97B63.jpeg
961E9B4B-74B5-4FA4-A2C0-529F825E2A13.jpeg
50476D7D-739D-4EF7-8FEA-96D5CDD387A0.jpeg
4A93AD81-DA45-4EC7-95D5-15F787E58672.jpeg
FAF8B206-A32B-4357-ACB6-076E81129731.jpeg
10108341-A4AD-4B86-AD31-45EE6BEDF66A.jpeg
E05857C4-6271-4F86-8C37-B4270C26B06D.jpeg
186D061E-5320-4E2D-BFF8-8ACDC1D20768.jpeg
ABBEFE83-F273-4E52-A24F-5A779BD30C5F.jpeg
2EC0FD0B-2B05-4E83-A490-2B8DEE641390.jpeg

thatsruff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early days yet for me. Tank is about three months old, and I am only a partial zeovit - I regularly dosed zeobak, sponge power, zeofood, and zeostart during and just after my cycle, no other zeovit elements. I only dose occasionally now.

The bacteria is almost too efficient, I over feed the fish, I don't run a skimmer, and I still need to feed coral food every other night to keep phosphates up. And I am about to start dosing sodium nitrate to keep my nitrates from zero.

Added a few more easy sps (monti and pavona were already growing well) the other day:

IMG_20200904_191427~2.jpg

IMG_20200905_100214.jpg

Reefdom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early days yet for me. Tank is about three months old, and I am only a partial zeovit - I regularly dosed zeobak, sponge power, zeofood, and zeostart during and just after my cycle, no other zeovit elements. I only dose occasionally now.

The bacteria is almost too efficient, I over feed the fish, I don't run a skimmer, and I still need to feed coral food every other night to keep phosphates up. And I am about to start dosing sodium nitrate to keep my nitrates from zero.

Added a few more easy sps (monti and pavona were already growing well) the other day:

IMG_20200904_191427~2.jpg

IMG_20200905_100214.jpg

did your tank not do well when nitrate and phosphate were zero?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 56 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back