Zero iodine

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral colors A? Just bear in mind it is adding more than iodide so cause and effect can be tricky to attribute to any individual component.
Yep. That's what I've been using. I suppose it could be the bromine or fluorine that's beneficial -- I have not tested for those (not sure how easily they can be tested without icp). I've also not tried iodine/dide supplement that does not have these additional halogens in at least 20 years. So the effects could be due to any or all of these.

OP
OP
F

flomich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ICP test showing 0 iodine, so I bought AF Iodum, which I started dosing at 2 drops for 160 litres volume.

I could only find a Salifert Iodine/Iodide test kit, but it showed 0 on both, so I’m not sure the test is working. Will this test kit work for Iodum? It says it doesn’t work on all iodine supplements, but wasn’t specific, so I stopped dosing until I can be sure.

If it is realty 0, then I should dose 1 drop for every 0.01 per 100 litres daily (as per instructions). That’s 9 drops to get to 0.06 - which feels like a lot.

I use AF Reef salt and do weekly 20% water changes. Everything is happy, so maybe I shouldn’t change anything.

What’s the recommendation?
Update to my iodine testing.

The Salifert Iodide test is able to measure the AF Iodum, but the Salifert Iodate/iodine test is always negative, ie clear colour.

The AF Reef salt I use has 0.06 iodide as tested with the Salifert iodide test in freshly mixed water.

So water changes can add some iodide but dosing is still needed as the tank is using it - 200L tanks with 50 corals, mostly zoas.

I have only ever added 3 drops at a time twice a week, but I think I am confident to get and keep it at 0.06 now the testing has been consistent.

I would not recommend adding any iodide/iodine supplement without accurate testing.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Salifert Iodide test is able to measure the AF Iodum, but the Salifert Iodate/iodine test is always negative, ie clear colour.

The AF Reef salt I use has 0.06 iodide as tested with the Salifert iodide test in freshly mixed water.

So water changes can add some iodide but dosing is still needed as the tank is using it - 200L tanks with 50 corals, mostly zoas.

I have only ever added 3 drops at a time twice a week, but I think I am confident to get and keep it at 0.06 now the testing has been consistent.

I would not recommend adding any iodide/iodine supplement without accurate testing.
Interesting!

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn't realize that Salifert made both an Iodide test and an Iodate/iodine test.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize that Salifert made both an Iodide test and an Iodate/iodine test.

Same kit but different directions:

Instructions for Iodide Test:

1. Rinse test vial before use with a little aquarium water and add 2ml of water with the syringe.
  2. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 2-3 seconds after each drop (I-2-2 is omitted in this procedure).
  3. After exactly 4 minutes after adding this reagent compare colours with the iodide part of the colour chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the colour chart and by looking through the opposite side.

Waiting longer than 4 minutes will cause further darkening of the colours. For colour comparison use diffuse daylight. Sometimes the colours can have a more yellow tinge depending on the colour temperature of the light.

If the colour turns blue, purple or black or a precipitate form then the iodide concentration is far above 0.2 ppm.

After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.
Instructions for Iodate and Iodine Test:

1. Rinse test vial before use with a little aquarium water and add 2ml of water with the syringe.
  2. Add 1 drop of I2-2 (I2-1 is omitted in this procedure) reagent and swirl gently for 10 seconds.
  3. Add 6 drops of I2-3 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Allow it to stand for 3 minutes.

Now look from the side od the test vial. If the colour is dark yellow, green or blue or even has several blue coloured particles in it then this suggests that the iodate concentration is far higher than 0.2ppm and a precipitate can form in the next step. This might result in the next step in an almost colourless solution with tiny blue particles.

The next step will allow the measurement if the iodate concentration is not far above 0.2ppm
  4. Add 5 drops of I2-2 and swirl gently for 10 seconds. Now compare colours with the iodate part of the colour chart by holding the test vial with its side firmly against a white piece of the colour chart and by looking through the opposite side.

After each test rinse the test vial about ten times with tap or RO water.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious why no one ever questioned the ICP test that reports 0 iodine. I can understand low but 0? That seems like a red flag to me.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Iodine Pro and I get a reading of 0.06 which is ideal, ICP shows nothing. I don't know which is correct. Anyway, I have been dosing Fluval Sea Iodine for several years at one full dropper of Iodine per day, instructions calls for 5ml per 400L or 100 gallons per week. I have a 75 gallon tank or 289L. You would think my Iodine would be through the roof. So I am confused. My corals have been growing slow lately with great color, my Duncan is just starting to show himself after a year of being tucked away in it's shell. I can't believe my duncan is still alive.

So what I am going to do is slowly stop dosing Iodine and see what happens. After 1 week I am still at 0.06.
I am down to half an eye dropper full daily for a month and my iodine dropped from 0.06 to 0.03. Noticed an increase in red algae. Going back to a full eye dropper daily.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am down to half an eye dropper full daily for a month and my iodine dropped from 0.06 to 0.03. Noticed an increase in red algae. Going back to a full eye dropper daily.

I cannot really see how reduced iodine dosing could cause increased algae growth, but let us know what happens.

Back