zero phosphates a problem?

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and I’m battling algae. I’ve had Dinoflagellates in the past, due to letting my Nitrates and Phosphates fall to zero, so I’m afraid for that to happen again (beat them with alot of help from the people on this forum). But I am in a cycle of adding nitrogen and phosphate (less when I overfeed), and in a day (sometimes two) I’m back to zero phosphates. I have taken all phosphate absorbers out of the tank (2 months ago), so I think the algae is just using up the phosphates, and that’s why I get back to zero in 24 hours or so. Should I keep adding phosphate? Seems stupid to keep adding something that’s fueling my algae problem, but I’m just scared of Dinos coming back. Any advice?

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank and I’m battling algae. I’ve had Dinoflagellates in the past, due to letting my Nitrates and Phosphates fall to zero, so I’m afraid for that to happen again (beat them with alot of help from the people on this forum). But I am in a cycle of adding nitrogen and phosphate (less when I overfeed), and in a day (sometimes two) I’m back to zero phosphates. I have taken all phosphate absorbers out of the tank (2 months ago), so I think the algae is just using up the phosphates, and that’s why I get back to zero in 24 hours or so. Should I keep adding phosphate? Seems stupid to keep adding something that’s fueling my algae problem, but I’m just scared of Dinos coming back. Any advice?
If you have algae actively growing, you most likely have enough phosphates. I wouldn't worry too much about the low numbers until you stop seeing algae growth on the glass and rocks.

Jamesrup0411

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you adding for phosphate? In the same situation without algae though, so trying to find what I can dose

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem’s Flourish Phosphate. The green hair algae in my tank loves it. Ha!
6D6584DC-110A-46EC-97E6-333607FF5781.png

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way to increase phosphates is to feed any of the coral food like reef roids or reef chili. I feed twice a week following directions on container to keep my phosphates elevated....plus the coral likes it :)

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An easy way to increase phosphates is to feed any of the coral food like reef roids or reef chili. I feed twice a week following directions on container to keep my phosphates elevated....plus the coral likes it :)
Agreed. I was dosing nitrate & phosphate until I started feeding weekly with reef roids. In particular, it seems to bring up the phosphate.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't give any background about your tank. Do you have any fish, corals, or inverts? Do you know your tank parameters? Do you dose anything? How do you export your nutrients?

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-You don't give any background about your tank.
8 months old, 40 gallon breeder with 15 gallon sump.

-Do you have any fish, corals, or inverts?
2 fish, clown & royal gramma, also a few snails, ordered more recently and they’re in a QT tank. Few coral in QT tank as well with the snails.

-Do you know your tank parameters?
Yes.

-Do you dose anything?
Alk in the QT tank. Nothing in display.

-How do you export your nutrients?
Other than water changes, I think the algae is taking up all the nutrients. Tried growing chaeto, but it slowly dies.

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zero phosphate can trigger the Dino to come back again in your tank, specially if you have been battling the Dino recently.
It might be a safer approach to remove the algae physically, use clean up crew and play around with your light to limit the growth of algae. If you physically reduce the amount of algae in your tank, the phosphate consumption will decrease and the PO4 level will come back up.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right. I’m going to adjust the lighting to limit the algae growth and increase my CUC.

The problem with removal is I have marco rocks (e.g., lots of cracks and crevices I can’t get my fingers into). I remove what I can, but not sure how to remove the algae growing out of the crevices. Any advice for removal from crevices?

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right. I’m going to adjust the lighting to limit the algae growth and increase my CUC.

The problem with removal is I have marco rocks (e.g., lots of cracks and crevices I can’t get my fingers into). I remove what I can, but not sure how to remove the algae growing out of the crevices. Any advice for removal from crevices?

In addition to Snails, I would invest in a rather large number of Dwarf Hermits. May be 60-80 Atlantic Blue Tips or Mexican Red Tips. But don't mix them as Red Tips tend to be more aggressive toward competition.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve been reluctant to get hermits because I’ve heard they can harass corals (tearing them to take food from them), but I may have to. Are dwarf hermits better than blue legs and scarlets? (Blue legs and scarlets seem the most popular from what I’ve read.)

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve been reluctant to get hermits because I’ve heard they can harass corals (tearing them to take food from them), but I may have to. Are dwarf hermits better than blue legs and scarlets? (Blue legs and scarlets seem the most popular from what I’ve read.)

I have never had any issues with red tip or blue dwarfs in many years of reefing. Blue Tips or Blue Legs are the same.
The advantage of the dwarfs is that they are much smaller that scarlets and get into places that scarlets can't get.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks, looking forward to getting me some! Few questions...
1) I only have a 40 gallon tank, do I really need 60?
2) Do you keep empty shells for them? If so, who do you get them from?
3) Do you have snails as well, or just the hermits?

Thanks for your help!

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks, looking forward to getting me some! Few questions...
1) I only have a 40 gallon tank, do I really need 60?
2) Do you keep empty shells for them? If so, who do you get them from?
3) Do you have snails as well, or just the hermits?

Thanks for your help!
Larger numbers will attach the algae quick and give you a better control of the situation. Also the type of the rock that you have might require more work by the clean up crew. Once the amount of algae is reduced, some hermits may not make it due to scarcity of the food but leave a few empty shells around for them if they need to move.
I don't know what type of algae you have but I always keep a verity of different type of CUC as some do a better job at certain type of algae than others. Definitely add some snails too.

OP
OP
K

KnightlyBuzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question (yeah right, wink)...
Do you prefer dwarf blue legs or dwarf red tips?

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 - 80 hermits in a 40 gallon seems way overkill to me.

If you have hair algae growing in your tank then you have phosphates present. As other have stated above reducing your photoperiod and manual removal should help but back the HA. Once you get a handle on the HA you should start to see detectable levels of Po4.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back