Zero PPM.....?

slimfl08

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2018
Messages
20
Reaction score
3
Location
Great Falls
What state or country do you live in
Montana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up a 20 gallon tank that was previously set up with very well cured live rock. I cycled the tank keeping an eye on parameters and it has stayed at 0 PPM for Ammonia and Nitrate. Is this common with a previously established tank? I filled with RO/DI water and used instant ocean salt to get my salinity to 1.025.
 
Was there anything in the tank to give the tank any ammonia in the 1st place?
 
Yep, with the water they came out of.
You had instant cycle. If the rocks stayed wet and didn't let sit to get stagnant for a long period of time. They were already colonized with the nitrifying bacteria.
 
Yes, that’s normal, my tank never cycled. I also started with very good LR
 
You had instant cycle. If the rocks stayed wet and didn't let sit to get stagnant for a long period of time. They were already colonized with the nitrifying bacteria.
Ahhh sweet! Thanks for the info. I may add a Chromis or two and check my levels in a couple days.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new