Zoa closed up

View Badges
I have had a small zoa frag for just over a week now and most of the time it has been closed. I moved the powerhead so it wasn't in the path of the flow a few days ago but it's still closed.
There are only two small heads that are partially open. They're out of the main flowstream and partially shaded since they're on the side of the plug.

I acclimatised them with my light (ReefLED 90w) on a 7 day program.
Are they too high in the tank? So too much light?
Also maybe the flow is too high?

My parameters are pH 8.3, ammonia = nitrate = phosphate 0, salinity 1.025, calcium 365, alkalinity 8.6, and magnesium 1320.

I read that zoas prefer slightly dirty water so maybe my nitrates and phosphate are too low for them?

My tank is fishless. I have a few crabs and snails. It's only 54 LTRs and the pump is a Fluval CP1 1000 ltr per hour.

Any idea why it's closed? Should I does nitrate and phosphate? Or break up the rock it's on so it sits further down in the tank?

Pictures attached. Thanks.

20200430_153147.jpg 20200430_153132.jpg 20200430_153123.jpg 20200430_153103.jpg

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank needs nitrates and phosphates and some fish poo. Is this a fairly new tank? Rock and sand appear to be pretty clean.
Those could be part of the issue, as well as lighting. My zoas do well in 80 -180 par, but I have seen zoas in SPS dominant tanks near the surface do well. Just need to be acclimated.

OP
OP

View Badges
Tank needs nitrates and phosphates and some fish poo. Is this a fairly new tank? Rock and sand appear to be pretty clean.
Those could be part of the issue, as well as lighting. My zoas do well in 80 -180 par, but I have seen zoas in SPS dominant tanks near the surface do well. Just need to be acclimated.
Yes the tank is only a month old. I'm not planning on adding any fish. Shall I dose some nitrate and phosphate?

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank is only a month old. I'm not planning on adding any fish. Shall I dose some nitrate and phosphate?

You could dose or do a light dusting of reef roids, I've found that raises both in my tank as well as feeds corals/shrimp

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are the polyps smaller than when you got them? I only have a few varieties of zoanthids but In the time I've had them I've noticed some of them like different amounts of light- the main thing I see when they are getting to much light is the polyps shrinking in size, after a week or two of being moved to lower light the polyps become larger. with that said radioactive dragon eyes aren't one the kinds I keep but it might be worth a try. Is that the redsea LED?

OP
OP

View Badges
are the polyps smaller than when you got them? I only have a few varieties of zoanthids but In the time I've had them I've noticed some of them like different amounts of light- the main thing I see when they are getting to much light is the polyps shrinking in size, after a week or two of being moved to lower light the polyps become larger. with that said radioactive dragon eyes aren't one the kinds I keep but it might be worth a try. Is that the redsea LED?
Hmmm I haven't noticed them getting smaller. One of them looks a bit blacker in the middle? It's hard to get a good view with the flow on. Yes it's the red sea reef led 90. I have it on 90 blue and 20 white I think.

Back