Zoa Damage - From Snail?

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large area of green zoas that have been very healthy for years. I came home today after being away for 48 hours and found a patch in the middle where the zoas are tightly closed up, and they haven't re-opened for several hours. I found a snail at the edge of this patch of closed zoas - I think it's a margarita but not sure, so I posted a photo of it after I moved it to a different area of the tank.

Normally, my zoas open back up not too long after being disturbed, and I've never seen them closed so tightly. Is it possible that the snail did damages them? Another possibility is that my hairy pincushion urchin made a pass through them, but it's always steered clear of the zoas in the past.

I'm hoping these guys all open back up, but was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

20230520_140438.jpg

20230520_140924.jpg

OP
OP
tmRoth

tmRoth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those green button palys are some of the hardest to kill.

Should be fine if its only been a few hours. Give it a day or so.
The fact that they are so hardy is the reason I was worried about them. Nothing ever seems to bother them, so I was surprised that the snail moving through them would cause such a reaction. Although I haven't ruled out the urchin - it's a recent addition and the snail may have moved in once the urchin opened up some room.

But I'll take your advice and see how they do over the next day or two.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 29.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 78 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.5%
Back