Zoa eating spider??

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Founded squished in top of the tank just barely out of water level.
20180211_164432.jpg

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a sea spider, I would be on the lookout for alive ones in and around zoas.

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep,,looks like one ,,hes a beauty,,after lights out for the day,,go with a flashlight and look for more.pick them off gently with tweezers while your zoas are still in the tank.they can actually kill a polyp a night if not more..not fast travelers but usually one theres more..hope not though,,be dilligent to do it every night til you dont see anymore..

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep,,looks like one ,,hes a beauty,,after lights out for the day,,go with a flashlight and look for more.pick them off gently with tweezers while your zoas are still in the tank.they can actually kill a polyp a night if not more..not fast travelers but usually one theres more..hope not though,,be dilligent to do it every night til you dont see anymore..
How much do I have to wait after lights out?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what?! Zoa eating SPIDERS? Are they hitchhikers or a land spider that can swim or? Oh my this hobby has some odd things!

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, what?! Zoa eating SPIDERS? Are they hitchhikers or a land spider that can swim or? Oh my this hobby has some odd things!
Hitchhikers, darn it. I just fragged these zoas cause I found Aptasia on the plugs and it was my first time fragging zoas. Some have opened since I did the process. I used Revive for dip when I was fragging. Still I have not spotted spiders. Guess I'll have to check later after dark

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plug that Im using was cleaned with RO hot water. If there is any hidding spot I guess that it will be on the last two zoas that I have not taken out of the plugs.
1518400191032.jpg
1518400210348.jpg

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be these 2 zoas. Still, these have always opened since I added them, except the other two. The ones on the live rock(green ones) had a polyp opened but it closed suddenly for no reason, it has not open since.
1518400394673.jpg

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2 hour to an hour..be very careful because they blend in very well ,also you might see one on top of polyp,,all clinched on,,just use tweezers..no need to put polyps through harsh dips..
Got it, I'll wait for an hour. Tomorrow I'll post again and tell you if I find. If so, what should I be looking for in terms on how the zoas behave? Maybe the colony is opening up except one or two zoas?

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I did not find any spiders. Just saw a few spaghetti worms. I waited and hour then came back after another hour, nothing. I'll check tonight again.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back