Zoa Fragging Issue...

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your tip on fragging zoas? This has happened to me twice now where I frag a colony and after a month, they all start to melt. They look perfect a week or two after fragging, but then start to then go down hill. They start to get the brown algae over the skin, and become smaller and smaller, eventually melting.

My process is usually to use a frag razor blade and cut underneath the polyp, leaving very little damage. Then place each polyp(s) on a plug with a dab of glue.

Would a dip in coral revive help the healing process after being cut? I've heard Iodine also helps. Can I just get a small bottle from a local pharmacy and use a few drops?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Healing is very vital to survival so important is how you cut them

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i scrape thepolyp form underneath and damage the plug or rock its on. I'm guessing this is another issue, not the cutting. Maybe try dipping them in some sort of treatment after you cut them.

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you may be slicing the polyps off the mat. Try and slice the mat around the polyp, then slice the mat off the rock. It's alot easier if your making 3+ polyp frags. Do put them in an iodine dip (I just put it in until I can't see the bottom of the container (usually about 2 inches of water). Put some revive in there that stuff works great.

OP
OP
ocncheffy

ocncheffy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you may be slicing the polyps off the mat. Try and slice the mat around the polyp, then slice the mat off the rock. It's alot easier if your making 3+ polyp frags. Do put them in an iodine dip (I just put it in until I can't see the bottom of the container (usually about 2 inches of water). Put some revive in there that stuff works great.

So with the iodine you make the water dark enough till you cant see the bottom, and also mix in revive at the same time?

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont need a lot of iodine, i use 2-3 drops of lugals or w/e brand I have now in a pee cup with tank water and let it sit for a couple of minutes

C-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the iodine you make the water dark enough till you cant see the bottom, and also mix in revive at the same time?

Yeah. But I also use about 2 liters of water bc I'm doing a whole lot of fragging so it takes a good bit of iodine. Like @Cherub says I would suggest using a pee cup and a few drops should be enough to make it dark enough.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always leave some rock or portion of the frag plug under the polyps I am fragging, so the glue does not touch the polyps. If you don't, the polyps will often detach from your new frag plug.
I also use 3-4 drops of Lugols per quart of tank water for the newly cut frags to soak in for 5-10 minutes prior to returning to the tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back