Zoa Frags need help

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been running well over 6 months now , I have at least 10 frags that been in the tank over a months. This is a 40g long all in one . Phosphate LR. - 0.06 , Nitrate H.R.- 9.7 Alkalinity DKH9.5, PH stays around 8.1-8.2 temp is always 76-78° , I make my own RODI , 4 stage . TDS meter used , mixing my own salt Ritz Pro red box. And calcium is at 399ppm using Hanna checkers for testing . I run a figi skimmer, Biocube”s UV sterilizer with an additional pump attached , upgraded my filter sock holder to use a 4” filter sock . WiFi wave makers have always been cross flow and medium-Strong flow . I have a Par meter as well using pop bloom WiFi lights . There copies of Red Sea . I use reef roids , Red Sea reef energy off and on , dose MicroBactor 7 bacteria , sand band about 3” high . Fish are all healthy purple coraline growing quickly , inverts are A plus cleaner shrimp red blood shrimp. 40 snails 30 of the smallest blue leg hermits and live rocks are beautiful. Recently maybe now for a week a few of my higher end Zoa”s stopped opening. No changes to flow or chemistry. I do a weekly water change every week , also ATO with Kalk plus . I am currently fighting cyanobacteria, not using red slime removal or any chemicals . Just keeping the tank well balanced on a schedule and clean. Worries about the Zoa”s most were purchased from vivid online . Single polyps and now almost all have 4-6 polyps. But the ones that are not opening have me worried any ideas ? Hope I provided good information to go off of .
IMG_4298.png
IMG_4297.jpeg IMG_4296.jpeg IMG_4295.jpeg IMG_4294.jpeg IMG_4293.jpeg IMG_4292.jpeg IMG_4291.jpeg

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa’s like nutrient rich water. Phosphate and nitrate could be higher. How long have you been trying to get rid of the Cyano? Does the timing coincide with trying to keep the tank clean?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagnosing issues is tricky through reading and text alone. If I had to hazard a guess, nutrient levels might be a bit low for their liking. Everything else seems to be happy though, so I doubt it's lighting. You mentioned cyanobacteria, which can often occur in areas of high detritus buildup or insufficient flow. Could try turning up flow a bit or adjusting so there are less dead spots. It sounds like you have a healthy routine with maintenance.
Take a closer look at the zoas for zoanthid "spiders" or zoa "pox" as well.

OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa’s like nutrient rich water. Phosphate and nitrate could be higher. How long have you been trying to get rid of the Cyano? Does the timing coincide with trying to keep the tank clean?
Not sure i understand your question I follow a routine , every Thursday make water mixes for 24 hours and Friday water change . I clean my glass sand and filter socks daily since the red slime , first it was on the rocks everywhere now it tends to move in the sand at night and mid day top of sand . The Zoa frags closed wile the bacteria tight already begun they were open and healthy just till a week ago

OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagnosing issues is tricky through reading and text alone. If I had to hazard a guess, nutrient levels might be a bit low for their liking. Everything else seems to be happy though, so I doubt it's lighting. You mentioned cyanobacteria, which can often occur in areas of high detritus buildup or insufficient flow. Could try turning up flow a bit or adjusting so there are less dead spots. It sounds like you have a healthy routine with maintenance.
Take a closer look at the zoas for zoanthid "spiders" or zoa "pox" as well.
No spiders or Zoa pox , using my wave makers flow is 75 frequency is at 40 before it cross flows to the right

IMG_4300.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion you have way too much going on way too fast. Too late to slow down...
Jabber I cycled my tank for 2 plus months , but prior 2 that made my own live rocks , and cycled them for 6 months in my garage . First 2 in fresh water last 4 in salt under proper lighting and temperature. With water changes and adding bacteria . I been in the hobby 20 years now . Not shure what you mean by way too much going on bio load is medium to low . I have 5 fish including my watchmen , pair of black ice clowns , bicolor blenny and a small wrass . They are doing perfect all inverts as well .

Attachments

• IMG_4303.jpeg
    IMG_4303.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4301.jpeg
    IMG_4301.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 10

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure i understand your question I follow a routine , every Thursday make water mixes for 24 hours and Friday water change . I clean my glass sand and filter socks daily since the red slime , first it was on the rocks everywhere now it tends to move in the sand at night and mid day top of sand . The Zoa frags closed wile the bacteria tight already begun they were open and healthy just till a week ago
You mentioned that you have been fighting the Cyano. Have the nutrients changed in the last week or two with the battle with the Cyano? Also, you mentioned a Cleaner shrimp. Does the shrimp ever go near the Zoa’s? They have been known to irritate Zoa’s to the point of not opening.

OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mentioned that you have been fighting the Cyano. Have the nutrients changed in the last week or two with the battle with the Cyano? Also, you mentioned a Cleaner shrimp. Does the shrimp ever go near the Zoa’s? They have been known to irritate Zoa’s to the point of not opening.
Both cleaner shrimps love cleaning my hands never nipping at frags of any kind , nutrients have been documented weekly . Fridays water change day , I increased 5 gallons to 10 gallons every week and it went from all over the rocks and corals to just on the sand . It’s not bad as long as I fight it more worried about the Zoas , I target feed them .25 a tsp of reef roids one time a week and frozen marine cuisine 1 time a week or vitamin enriched pellets 1 time a week , Red Sea reef energy I swap with roids every other week and use the measuring can that is very little hears examples

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 14

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My tank has been running well over 6 months now , I have at least 10 frags that been in the tank over a months. This is a 40g long all in one . Phosphate LR. - 0.06 , Nitrate H.R.- 9.7 Alkalinity DKH9.5, PH stays around 8.1-8.2 temp is always 76-78° , I make my own RODI , 4 stage . TDS meter used , mixing my own salt Ritz Pro red box. And calcium is at 399ppm using Hanna checkers for testing . I run a figi skimmer, Biocube”s UV sterilizer with an additional pump attached , upgraded my filter sock holder to use a 4” filter sock . WiFi wave makers have always been cross flow and medium-Strong flow . I have a Par meter as well using pop bloom WiFi lights . There copies of Red Sea . I use reef roids , Red Sea reef energy off and on , dose MicroBactor 7 bacteria , sand band about 3” high . Fish are all healthy purple coraline growing quickly , inverts are A plus cleaner shrimp red blood shrimp. 40 snails 30 of the smallest blue leg hermits and live rocks are beautiful. Recently maybe now for a week a few of my higher end Zoa”s stopped opening. No changes to flow or chemistry. I do a weekly water change every week , also ATO with Kalk plus . I am currently fighting cyanobacteria, not using red slime removal or any chemicals . Just keeping the tank well balanced on a schedule and clean. Worries about the Zoa”s most were purchased from vivid online . Single polyps and now almost all have 4-6 polyps. But the ones that are not opening have me worried any ideas ? Hope I provided good information to go off of .
IMG_4298.png
IMG_4297.jpeg IMG_4296.jpeg IMG_4295.jpeg IMG_4294.jpeg IMG_4293.jpeg IMG_4292.jpeg IMG_4291.jpeg
Agree, this tank is being stocked at a fast pace. other reasons your zoa may be doing this starts with flow. They need moderate flow and not that of SPS coral. Additionally light seems bright and while they can tolerate bright light, best is moderate with higher blue. With a newer tank, check your phosphate as they dont fare well with higher levels. Last would be use of NoPox, vodka or carbon dosing that reduces nitrate quickly.
Often a change in parameters are the start of issues with zoa, Recommended ranges are:

Alk: 8.0 - 11
Calcium: 400 - 450
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .05 - .09
Nitrates < 10-15

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both cleaner shrimps love cleaning my hands never nipping at frags of any kind , nutrients have been documented weekly . Fridays water change day , I increased 5 gallons to 10 gallons every week and it went from all over the rocks and corals to just on the sand . It’s not bad as long as I fight it more worried about the Zoas , I target feed them .25 a tsp of reef roids one time a week and frozen marine cuisine 1 time a week or vitamin enriched pellets 1 time a week , Red Sea reef energy I swap with roids every other week and use the measuring can that is very little hears examples
You can try going back to a 5 gallon water change and see if that helps. The extra 5 gallons you started will change the nutrient levels. I am not saying the shrimp are nipping, but irritating. Do they try to eat near them when you target feed? Do they ever walk on them.

OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, this tank is being stocked at a fast pace. other reasons your zoa may be doing this starts with flow. They need moderate flow and not that of SPS coral. Additionally light seems bright and while they can tolerate bright light, best is moderate with higher blue. With a newer tank, check your phosphate as they dont fare well with higher levels. Last would be use of NoPox, vodka or carbon dosing that reduces nitrate quickly.
Often a change in parameters are the start of issues with zoa, Recommended ranges are:

Nitrates < 10-15
Nitrate was at 9.7 alk was 9.5 I did not put that in correctly but my water is pretty much what your recommendation is I know the chemistry well enough I make my own RODI and salt water . As far as lighting I own a par meter I have the reading for every level my corals are located , plus hears my light schedule

Attachments

• IMG_4304.png
    IMG_4304.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try going back to a 5 gallon water change and see if that helps. The extra 5 gallons you started will change the nutrient levels. I am not saying the shrimp are nipping, but irritating. Do they try to eat near them when you target feed? Do they ever walk on them.
Never seen them walk on the corals my blood shrimp hides in the cage almost always skunk cleaner is out and about but never around corals I will go back to a 5 gallon change and post the results next week .

OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nitrates < 10-15
Flow left side won’t kick up sand do to the rock placement, but right side does , so I keep the right side lower , these are Jabo WiFi 30”s

Attachments

• IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    21.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 12
OP
OP
Celo1017

Celo1017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am pretty much on the same page with all the advice except for adding things to quickly lol I use Fritz Turbo start it worked awesome . All fish inverts are A plus . I let it cycle longer then Fritz recommended as well before adding corals . Did you guys see how good the other Zoas are doing ? It just doesn’t make sense to me

Last edited:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jabber I cycled my tank for 2 plus months , but prior 2 that made my own live rocks , and cycled them for 6 months in my garage . First 2 in fresh water last 4 in salt under proper lighting and temperature. With water changes and adding bacteria . I been in the hobby 20 years now . Not shure what you mean by way too much going on bio load is medium to low . I have 5 fish including my watchmen , pair of black ice clowns , bicolor blenny and a small wrass . They are doing perfect all inverts as well .
So, you know what you are doing. Why ask for help???

I wish you the best.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see the pictures I posted for you ?
I saw. Thanks for posting them. 6 Months is a new tank. I am no expert. Zoas are hit or miss for me. Corals in general are. Sometimes happy, then just waste away. Hard to tell what's up if they don't leave a note...

If you are in Holly Springs Georgia, you are just down the street from me.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back