Zoa garden help

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking in to getting into zoas and was wanting some help in choosing some zoas. Now I know it's ultimately my choice but wanted some outside inspiration. I have a rock that is roughly the size of 2 fists maybe Abit bigger. The only zoas I have are some captain jerks that came in as a hitch hiker. These things are weeds atleast in my tank I'm getting about a polyp a week so far if not one every 4-5 days.

I like the look of the smaller polyps but am open to opinions on this matter. Also this isn't a huge rock so is there a good "number" of zoas I was thinking like 3 types maybe 4? I was leaning towards the following

Scrambled eggs
Wwc aoi
Kedds reds/twizzler/orange oxide
Rasta

If you have any insight on these types above or maybe even some pics of gardens with them I would love to see them.

I do have another rock same size I would like to do another garden maybe a hornet garden?

Also do you have to worry about one type taking over another type or is this how morphs come about?

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking in to getting into zoas and was wanting some help in choosing some zoas. Now I know it's ultimately my choice but wanted some outside inspiration. I have a rock that is roughly the size of 2 fists maybe Abit bigger. The only zoas I have are some captain jerks that came in as a hitch hiker. These things are weeds atleast in my tank I'm getting about a polyp a week so far if not one every 4-5 days.

I like the look of the smaller polyps but am open to opinions on this matter. Also this isn't a huge rock so is there a good "number" of zoas I was thinking like 3 types maybe 4? I was leaning towards the following

Scrambled eggs
Wwc aoi
Rasta

If you have any insight on these types above or maybe even some pics of gardens with them I would love to see them.

I do have another rock same size I would like to do another garden maybe a hornet garden?

Also do you have to worry about one type taking over another type or is this how morphs come about?
Hi!! So it looks like you have a great idea, it just needs a little refinement which is super easy. Just a couple baseline questions:

What do you consider “too fast” growing for you? Basically how often are you willing to trim back/maintain this?

You said you like small zoas (great!) is there a particular color scheme you’d like or do you just want rainbow?

What’s your budget?

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Scrambled eggs
Wwc aoi
Rasta

859D45A5-AEE2-4007-B145-FB44F467DE89.jpeg
299170A3-8D46-4A0B-BC72-AA77353173D6.jpeg

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!! So it looks like you have a great idea, it just needs a little refinement which is super easy. Just a couple baseline questions:

What do you consider “too fast” growing for you? Basically how often are you willing to trim back/maintain this?

You said you like small zoas (great!) is there a particular color scheme you’d like or do you just want rainbow?

What’s your budget?
I have a 40 cube so not something that would be a weekly chore honestly with the size of rock I wouldn't even care if it was a polyp a month I'm not filling in a huge area.

And that's another thing I'm not sure I live in an area in which my closest fish store is 4 hours away and nobody around me is in this hobby so I've never seen a colony in person. I'm thinking that when the smaller polyps grow into a colony some of the nice detail in them gets lost so I'm mainly looking for things will blend well as a whole. If that makes since

GCL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my twizzlers and scrambled eggs grow fast to the point of overgrowing and choking out other zoas. I would be careful putting them on a rock with other zoas unless you keep and eye and ideally have some on plugs so you can move stuff around
BF89FEC3-66A0-411E-89E3-BC0EFF64C861.jpeg

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 cube so not something that would be a weekly chore honestly with the size of rock I wouldn't even care if it was a polyp a month I'm not filling in a huge area.

And that's another thing I'm not sure I live in an area in which my closest fish store is 4 hours away and nobody around me is in this hobby so I've never seen a colony in person. I'm thinking that when the smaller polyps grow into a colony some of the nice detail in them gets lost so I'm mainly looking for things will blend well as a whole. If that makes since
Rastas are great, they look really nice as a colony and don’t break the bank :)
EC0EFE48-BEB6-4726-A2A0-473F344BE738.jpeg
8A9C2A64-6A2E-4E51-9DBA-B94A1658B5F7.jpeg

check out Pikachu, eagle eyes, hotshot, mandarin orange, fruit loops, etc. Maybe check out this thread for more ideas https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoas-by-size.789289/#post-8585806

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my twizzlers and scrambled eggs grow fast to the point of overgrowing and choking out other zoas. I would be careful putting them on a rock with other zoas unless you keep and eye and ideally have some on plugs so you can move stuff around
BF89FEC3-66A0-411E-89E3-BC0EFF64C861.jpeg
So what I find crazy is your scrambled eggs look very different then the ones I'm looking at. I'm looking at vivid aquariums if this helps anyone out. But I actually like those bigger polyps mixed in on the top side looks awesome. I might have to make 3 or 4 little islands lol I may be creating a monster in jumping into zoas

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your guys go to place for online zoas?
To find the weekend sales look under the Sponsors tab. Aqua SD has one this weekend. If you are going to always be shopping online, then these are definitely the best times to buy. Some places (cherry corals for example) sell most things at 50% off, others do not give deals that good. Here is a copy of my bookmarks list for you. The ones with $20 shipping fees are in-state prices for me here in FL.

1619052093871.png

OP
OP
N

N2theUnknown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To find the weekend sales look under the Sponsors tab. Aqua SD has one this weekend. If you are going to always be shopping online, then these are definitely the best times to buy. Some places (cherry corals for example) sell most things at 50% off, others do not give deals that good. Here is a copy of my bookmarks list for you. The ones with $20 shipping fees are in-state prices for me here in FL.

1619052093871.png
Thanks! Yes shipping's is killer and it sucks not having a LFS that's for sure.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1619052093871.png
Beware last time AquaSD had a sale they shipped out zoas with spiders.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would absolutely heavily dip anything coming from AquaSD. They get corals trans shipped then immediately put them up for sale so there’s a ton of potential for pests. But, for the most part, that’s reflected in the price so you get what you pay for

Back