Zoa growth help

Svenjamin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What tips do some of you more experienced zoa keepers have to grow nice and fat polyps at a steady pace? What could I do to help increase growth I half of my zoas haven't put out new heads for a few weeks and some haven't put any out at all. Any help is appreciated!

Current tank pro clear 60, with xr30 mounted 8inches above tank 100% blues on 20% intensity. (About 75-100 par for most of tank)

Parameters: calk 543, all 9.4dkh, magnesium over 1800 (I have no idea how high it is my test kit limits at 1800 working on this aswell) 0.4 (dealing with this now) shooting 0.1, nitrates 20ppm, nitrites 0, salinity 1.028, temp 79°F

FreshSaltH2o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of mine grow at different rates I just experiment with placement and try to keep my params stable I run 3 xr15 g5 ab+ at 65% and (4) 60” blue plus t5 for 2-3 hrs midday I’m seeing good growth in multiple types just my 2 cents

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many zoas are different in every tank. For example, I have 2 sets of rastas both from the same lfs 1 has tiny bright polyps and the other has fair colored polyps that are twice the size. Both in comparable lighting and flow.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a garden of zoas goin wild right now but honestly i couldnt tell you why. I keep nutes relatively high and feed my tank often. High lighting and flow. 9 hour peak with sunrise/sunset lighting schedule.

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say just keep the tank stable the way you like it and as long as parameters are in healthy ranges they will acclimate to it and grow happier over time. Got to keep it stable tho, whatever that looks like for you.

OP
OP
S

Svenjamin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone it sounds like the most important thing is time. This tank is a little over a year old and I guess I'm just tired of it being so empty lol! I do use red sea trace colors but personally I think it's that I let phosphate get out of hand and the GHA is smothering most of my frags and tang gang and snails can't keep up. I suppose a 50/50 peroxide dip is in my future if anyone has any suggestions or helpful insight I'd appreciate it! Thanks everyone!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back