Zoa infection, please help!

HolyMackrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This frag of orange zoa's has been in my tank since the beginning (6 months). Over the past few days the left polyps have developed almost a crust or scab on the heads. All other zoa's, palys, and other corals doing great.

Any help identifying the problem/treatment would be much appreciated!!!

20210330_112247.jpg 20210330_112653.jpg

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes your eyes are better than a picture. Google “zoa pox” and see if that looks like what you see. Every once in awhile my zoas go through hiccups and I do two things: blow them off with a Turkey baster to dislodge what may be annoying them - and - if possible, take them out and H2O2 dip or iodine dip them. I’ve found zoas do much better in iodine dips than anything.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa pox usually won’t cause the zoanthid to close they will open up like normal before you start to see them close and or just melt away... regardless of what’s ailing them like stated above you can try iodine, peroxide, or even furan 2 if you decide it’s zoa pox being proactive is the best.... every time I see one close I don’t wait I will immediately begin to Dip it I do iodine and peroxide first and furan 2 is my last resort others do it different, many times iodine will do just fine

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look annoyed. I don’t see any crust on them I see polyps trying to emerge maybe flow right there is making them mad?

I would try and blow them off. Or use a extra soft toothbrush blush and lightly brush them off since it doesn’t look like you can remove the rock. If you can remove the rock don’t dump the hole thing in peroxide or anything else just dip the zoas

OP
OP
HolyMackrel

HolyMackrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes your eyes are better than a picture. Google “zoa pox” and see if that looks like what you see. Every once in awhile my zoas go through hiccups and I do two things: blow them off with a Turkey baster to dislodge what may be annoying them - and - if possible, take them out and H2O2 dip or iodine dip them. I’ve found zoas do much better in iodine dips than anything.
Thank you! I will try H2O2 dip!

OP
OP
HolyMackrel

HolyMackrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoa pox usually won’t cause the zoanthid to close they will open up like normal before you start to see them close and or just melt away... regardless of what’s ailing them like stated above you can try iodine, peroxide, or even furan 2 if you decide it’s zoa pox being proactive is the best.... every time I see one close I don’t wait I will immediately begin to Dip it I do iodine and peroxide first and furan 2 is my last resort others do it different, many times iodine will do just fine
Thank you! Going to try peroxide dip and see how they do.

OP
OP
HolyMackrel

HolyMackrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look annoyed. I don’t see any crust on them I see polyps trying to emerge maybe flow right there is making them mad?

I would try and blow them off. Or use a extra soft toothbrush blush and lightly brush them off since it doesn’t look like you can remove the rock. If you can remove the rock don’t dump the hole thing in peroxide or anything else just dip the zoas
Thanks! Thankfully, I can pull them right off the rock.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back