Zoa not opening for 2 weeks! Melted! Bacterial infection?

Bo2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last month I upgraded my tank, one of my zoa was on the frag rack and it grew over it so I had to cut the zoas from the rack then glued n formed it into a new frag. The new frag was doing fine some of the polyps opens right up but during the following days more and more polyps just melted away.

Few weeks later which is now, they are not opening anymore but still with a few polyps left. The mother colony did not melt but it also not opens anymore and maybe it infect the Rastas right next to it because it’s not opening too. The Rastas is having a very weird look some polyps was open 24h. but with a look of eyeball bulging out, some polyps color got blended.

Was it bacterial infection? How do I treatment it? Will it pass to my other zoas?
Really emergency! Please help!

The parameter is fine I tested, also you can see from the pic all other zoas was looking good.
IMG_7483.jpeg

53d4b598a19e54209bd5504ca3f5c13a.jpeg

IMG_7485.jpeg
IMG_7486.jpeg

d9a3d62e10918a3c1947ac9d1cfae395.jpeg

Last edited:

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id say a bacterial infection, when this happens to me I usually dip in a separate small container... iodine (lugols brand) mixed with tank water(follow iodine instructions for amount to use) for 5min and give it a good shake then put it back, the zoas may still take some time to open but they usually bounce back and it could take multiple treatments I usually do 2-3 in the same week then just let the zoas do their thing.

I think thats a good place to start! that said some people also get good results with chemiclean, and hydrogen peroxide, but I havent tried these and cant speak on them personally...

OP
OP
Bo2022

Bo2022

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped 2 days ago, slightly better. Gonna dip it again today.

Another question I notice there’s brownish filmy substance covers few head that be blows off, can brown jelly hit zoa?
IMG_7609.jpeg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I think recently happened with mine. I fragged and didn't wash or dip afterwards. Started to melt and look bad same with some others afterward. Dipped whole rock and it got better. Continue treatment.

TheScientificReefer

Tlāloc
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipped 2 days ago, slightly better. Gonna dip it again today.

Another question I notice there’s brownish filmy substance covers few head that be blows off, can brown jelly hit zoa?
IMG_7609.jpeg
Id need a pic but it could be poop or just film. The poster above made a good point in suggesting continued treatment

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back