Zoa Or Anemone?

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this little guy on a piece of live rock, just opened up today, very small hard to get a good photo.

image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like a zoa to me, but it could be an aptasia or ball anemone which can be really annoying and take over your tank in no time.
That’s what I was thinking, it’s almost clear though, with green spots around the edge, opens up and closes just like a zoa. My tank is still cycling, should I starve it out just in case it’s bad?

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was thinking, it’s almost clear though, with green spots around the edge, opens up and closes just like a zoa. My tank is still cycling, should I starve it out just in case it’s bad?
Can you try to get a better picture of it? Maybe under just white light?

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A2D816D-EE9A-440F-AAB0-7BBBA64EEC70.jpeg

these were ball anemones that are considered a nuisance and I dealt with them by cutting them off with a razor, then spraying the rock with boiling water and squirting lemon juice all over and inside the holes on the rock.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7A2D816D-EE9A-440F-AAB0-7BBBA64EEC70.jpeg

these were ball anemones that are considered a nuisance and I dealt with them by cutting them off with a razor, then spraying the rock with boiling water and squirting lemon juice all over and inside the holes on the rock.
Mine looks a little different from that, under blue light it almost glows green on the edge.

Strawberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a nuisance anemone. It can spawn pretty quickly so when you get a chance it’d be worth using the process I mentioned earlier. I did that and haven’t seen any more popping up.

OP
OP
BamboozleBean

BamboozleBean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it’s a nuisance anemone. It can spawn pretty quickly so when you get a chance it’d be worth using the process I mentioned earlier. I did that and haven’t seen any more popping up.
I’d have to sacrifice the beneficial bacteria on there, but I don’t want it to get out if control, thanks for the info.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back