Zoa/Paly ID, pretty please?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a zoa and (I think) a paly that I’m having a tough time IDing. @footgal i know you’re an expert but all help is welcome! :)
Thanks, friends!

AFC73BC5-0721-4B25-B9BC-BF14A77022FB.jpeg 8960390E-A2DB-432D-B2EC-9A3160EF502E.jpeg A7936423-73B8-4A15-8151-97A0060FF912.jpeg

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to say you’re both right, technically it’s like a palythoa mutuki, some people call it a nuclear green, some people green button polyp the other one you’re referring to in your example of a “nuclear paly” is palythoa heliodiscus more common as the family containing the purple death paly, red death, beauty and the beast paly etc.....
That’s the same thing lol button polyps are just the old school name for zoas/palys
C528522C-B443-45B8-A7F8-E55EC2D1B80A.png

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna have to say you’re both right, technically it’s like a palythoa mutuki, some people call it a nuclear green, some people green button polyp the other one you’re referring to in your example of a “nuclear paly” is palythoa heliodiscus more common as the family containing the purple death paly, red death, beauty and the beast paly etc.....
Thanks! I wasn’t going to argue the point, but yeah these green ones go by a lot of names :)

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I wasn’t going to argue the point, but yeah these green ones go by a lot of names :)
lol no probs you’ve learned quite a lot since I first saw ya on here, as you know many people slap random names on stuff lol

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top polyp is actually known as 'green implosion paly 'as a trade name.

Bottom is obviously a chaos.

Green implosions are very popular at reef stores. No self respecting reefer will sell them. In higher nutrient conditions they spread disturbingly fast and will wander around the tank. Larger angels will pick at them and occasionally eat them. Most LPS aren't bothered by them, but less aggressive zoas will get crowded out. They can take some good smacks from galaxy corals and the like.

Some less honest traders deliberately confuse them with nuclear greens. Nuclear greens are more vibrant, dont have the stripes, and grow slow and stay in a tight pack.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone know if the green ones have a high concentration of palytoxins? I’m truly not a fan of these guys and as such, I have kept them isolated to their own little rock in the back of one tank. In another tank, they managed to spread from one side of the tank to the other & I have no idea how. Amazingly, they get stung by a tube anemone all the time & they don’t mind it yet some Kenya Tree branches fell on them and stuck themselves in the middle of the colony and took a lot of the polyps out. So weird. I suppose that could be more light related.
I’d love to move the one small rock into another tank where I kind of let the corals do whatever they want. I have had zoa eating nudibranchs in there though, so if there are any left and they decided to munch on these, I don’t know if that would cause playtoxins to release into the tank?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back