Zoa/paly

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was sold these as zoas, but the way they grow and how big they are they seem to be palys imo. Anyways what is this coming from the middle of their mouths?? Does anyone know what their name is? The purple ones in the middle.
20210120_113819.jpg

ReefSapper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of look like CB Rainbow Infusion Zoa's, my polyps are fairly large as well. I am sure someone can either confirm or correct me ;)

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I don’t believe size is a good indication of it’s a zoa or a paly from my reading and understanding
Really you don't think? My palys have longer stalks and bigger heads. I have a green paly thats got a head the size of like a fingernail and I never see zoas get that big of a head.

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The true difference between palys and zoas is much harder to distinguish. It is in the coenenchyme (or mat tissue); palythoa (protopalys included) take up sand and other small particles to build their structure (particularly noticable in the "stem" of the polyp or course texture of the oral disc). Zoanthids (such as those pictured above) do not.

Polyp, colony form, and oral disc shape and color are all highly variable between members of these two genera.

If you have a question as to which you have, take a picture of the of the polyp. If it shows the sand grains like this out of focus shot of a Palythoa grandis, it is a paly not a zoa.”

Palythoagrandis16Nov2010.jpg

Original post
Post in thread 'Whats the difference between a paly and a zoa???'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-the-difference-between-a-paly-and-a-zoa.50756/post-552002

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys lol had a visitor whilst taking photos. Just also found my first aptasia! I've had these zoas a couple months and all the sudden one pops up. So weird.

Attachments

• 20210120_120106.jpg
    20210120_120106.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210120_120222.jpg
    20210120_120222.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 27
OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The true difference between palys and zoas is much harder to distinguish. It is in the coenenchyme (or mat tissue); palythoa (protopalys included) take up sand and other small particles to build their structure (particularly noticable in the "stem" of the polyp or course texture of the oral disc). Zoanthids (such as those pictured above) do not.

Polyp, colony form, and oral disc shape and color are all highly variable between members of these two genera.

If you have a question as to which you have, take a picture of the of the polyp. If it shows the sand grains like this out of focus shot of a Palythoa grandis, it is a paly not a zoa.”

Palythoagrandis16Nov2010.jpg

Original post
Post in thread 'Whats the difference between a paly and a zoa???'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-the-difference-between-a-paly-and-a-zoa.50756/post-552002
Hmm I see some having palys that can't identify sediment in the stalks. I need to move the small watermelon zoas to another rock and those captain jerks because they spread so fast, maybe I can put a piece of the stalk under the microscope to see

Reefing_addiction

Corals and Cronies over Crack
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I see some having palys that can't identify sediment in the stalks. I need to move the small watermelon zoas to another rock and those captain jerks because they spread so fast, maybe I can put a piece of the stalk under the microscope to see
There are other differences if I remember correctly it’s something about the skirts. To bad there isn’t someone doing genetic research on these so we can know!

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was sold these as zoas, but the way they grow and how big they are they seem to be palys imo. Anyways what is this coming from the middle of their mouths?? Does anyone know what their name is? The purple ones in the middle.

They are common gobstoppers and their discharge habit is common. They do this more when under high nutrient conditions or when adapting to different tanks. They do look like they need more light.

There are really too many different kinds on that rock, and being tall growers the gobstoppers will likely bully the rest, especially the utter chaos in the upper right that don't like to fight for territory. When things get all established you might want to frag some off the rock so they can all have room.

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are other differences if I remember correctly it’s something about the skirts. To bad there isn’t someone doing genetic research on these so we can know!
Ya I've read how zoas have round tentacles and paly pointed

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghdia nudibranch will get rid of that aiptasia if and when it multiplies out of control lol.
How does one just show up one day? I guess they probably move around since they are anemones. Should I cut it out and toss it or just throw it in the frag tank?

OP
OP
Jilly92

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one just show up one day? I guess they probably move around since they are anemones. Should I cut it out and toss it or just throw it in the frag tank?
Don't nudibranchs eat coral though?

Back