Zoa Removal

Baldee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased and received some new zoas. I performed a series of dips prior to them entering my tank (fresh water, coral rx, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and a thorough rinse between each). They all recovered (even the AOIs that would not fully close) but after about a week and a half, I noticed very small aptasia heads starting to grow on the LR with my Nightmares which are the only ones attached to a piece of LR on a frag plug.

I have never fragged zoas, but what is the healthiest method of removing the zoas from the LR? Or will a soft tooth brush remove the aptasia? Or is there another option?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased and received some new zoas. I performed a series of dips prior to them entering my tank (fresh water, coral rx, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and a thorough rinse between each). They all recovered (even the AOIs that would not fully close) but after about a week and a half, I noticed very small aptasia heads starting to grow on the LR with my Nightmares which are the only ones attached to a piece of LR on a frag plug.

I have never fragged zoas, but what is the healthiest method of removing the zoas from the LR? Or will a soft tooth brush remove the aptasia? Or is there another option?
Inject the aptasia with boiling water or with lemon juice. You can also make a kalkwasser paste and cover the aptasia with that. Any of those should kill the aptasia.

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not disturb the rock if it is just one aptasia.

Give the aptasia a little poke causing it to retract back into the rock. Then put a dab of superglue over it to seal it to the rock.

Keep an eye out for more aptasia. Where there is one, there are more...

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 51 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back