Zoa Removal

Baldee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased and received some new zoas. I performed a series of dips prior to them entering my tank (fresh water, coral rx, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and a thorough rinse between each). They all recovered (even the AOIs that would not fully close) but after about a week and a half, I noticed very small aptasia heads starting to grow on the LR with my Nightmares which are the only ones attached to a piece of LR on a frag plug.

I have never fragged zoas, but what is the healthiest method of removing the zoas from the LR? Or will a soft tooth brush remove the aptasia? Or is there another option?

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased and received some new zoas. I performed a series of dips prior to them entering my tank (fresh water, coral rx, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, and a thorough rinse between each). They all recovered (even the AOIs that would not fully close) but after about a week and a half, I noticed very small aptasia heads starting to grow on the LR with my Nightmares which are the only ones attached to a piece of LR on a frag plug.

I have never fragged zoas, but what is the healthiest method of removing the zoas from the LR? Or will a soft tooth brush remove the aptasia? Or is there another option?
Inject the aptasia with boiling water or with lemon juice. You can also make a kalkwasser paste and cover the aptasia with that. Any of those should kill the aptasia.

tanked4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not disturb the rock if it is just one aptasia.

Give the aptasia a little poke causing it to retract back into the rock. Then put a dab of superglue over it to seal it to the rock.

Keep an eye out for more aptasia. Where there is one, there are more...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back