Zoanthid Eating Nudibranch?

nanoreefnewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to the reef keeping hobby and recently introduced some of my first coral to the tank (two zoa frags). I did dip the corals so I was fairly confident that I would not be introducing anything bad in the tank. Unfortunately, today I noticed that one of the zoanthid polyps has remained closed for some time. On closer inspection, I noticed a small brown spikey thing on it which appeared to move as I continued to monitor it. I was able to take a picture using my camera with a macro lens and based on others I have seen on the internet I am quite confident that it is some form of nudibranch. Can anyone confirm this for me and let me know whether it is worth trying to eradicate it from the coral or if I should just discard the whole frag (was only $10). Thanks

nudibranch.jpg

nudibranch-2.jpg

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a zoa eating nudi, you can toss the coral, but if more then one are on there, its still in your system. If you can manually remove it, that would be best since you'd save the coral too. Their eggs also look like this. Kill them with fire LOL.
To help prevent this if you can add a wrasse of the Halichoeres especially a melanurus wrasse, they eat pests like these.

eggs.jpg
eggs2.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get that nudibranch out ASAP, and the coral if you find many eggs on it I’d say. Plus keep a close eye on any other zoas if you have any. They might be infested already, sorry to say...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back