Zoanthid spitting up its intestines?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Chameleon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Chameleon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2012
Messages
2,249
Reaction score
93
Location
Rockville, MD
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello yall,
I'm pretty new to keeping zoanthids...been keeping mostly sps. I noticed a few of my zoas have a black string like thing coming out of their mouths. It looks almost like it might be there intestines. I was thinking that they may have eaten some sand since they are on the sandbed and are trying to expel it, but who knows, maybe its something more severe. Does anyone know what I am witnessing and should i be concerned? Thanks
-Cham
 
I believe they are expelling their Zooxanthella. They should be fine. If your light is much higher than where they came from (lfs) they will rapidly produce it and then expel excess.
 
fun fun..hoards of bacteria being expelled into my tank...
on that note did anyone hear about this cool cuttlefish that uses symbiotic fluorescence bacteria to hide its shadow as it swims in the moonlight
check out this
nsf.gov - Special Report - Science Nation
 
Someone may note that zoos dont have intestines :), I agree with excrement of some sort. they'll be fine and so will your tank it wont do any harm
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new