• In many cases, the Tank Emergency Forum is not the best place to post. This Forum is reserved for true emergency aquarium situations and when help is needed immediately. For the best and quickest results, please post your thread in the appropriate forum. If you're not sure then just post your topic here in the Reef Discussion Forum!

Zoanthids melting and sky high nitrates

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,

so my zoas are slowly melting and I have no clue what caused it. I have had an algae issue I am trying to overcome as well. This is a 54 gal corner with sump. Lights are 2 kessil a360x.

ammonio 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 100+ !!!
phosphate .74
temp 78.1
pH 8.0

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
we are helping with a diagnosis which means ruling out things, so keep the answers coming (go through to attend to the ones that are still open),

Along this lines is a chemical/toxic event. Any possibility of something airborne that got into the tanks like a carpet cleaner etc.

Also what other corals do you have? Corals can release toxins in their ongoing turf wars. Do you use activated carbon ? Activated carbon removes toxins .

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Id suggest some water changes. Get the NO3 and PO4 down.

maybe cut back on feeding a little too... something going in isn’t getting out
if this was a nano tank, I'd recommend a full water change. at 54g, I'd start making/buying water and doing some major water changes while getting whatever algae remains, and if not a new tank, clean the sand bed in the process.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
This tank is about 4 months old. 4 fish 14 corals a cucumber an emerald crab and a fire shrimp
what type of alage issue and what were you doing (if any to deal with it)

It's a new tank which will have different approaches than a mature tank

what test kits are you using for NO3 and PO4. Let's nail down the accuracy of the reading

if correct. you NO3 and PO4 export/uptake is not sufficient.

Do we test our water too much and for too many things nowadays?

• Yes

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors