Zoanthids melting and sky high nitrates

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

so my zoas are slowly melting and I have no clue what caused it. I have had an algae issue I am trying to overcome as well. This is a 54 gal corner with sump. Lights are 2 kessil a360x.

ammonio 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 100+ !!!
phosphate .74
temp 78.1
pH 8.0

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we are helping with a diagnosis which means ruling out things, so keep the answers coming (go through to attend to the ones that are still open),

Along this lines is a chemical/toxic event. Any possibility of something airborne that got into the tanks like a carpet cleaner etc.

Also what other corals do you have? Corals can release toxins in their ongoing turf wars. Do you use activated carbon ? Activated carbon removes toxins .

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id suggest some water changes. Get the NO3 and PO4 down.

maybe cut back on feeding a little too... something going in isn’t getting out

if this was a nano tank, I'd recommend a full water change. at 54g, I'd start making/buying water and doing some major water changes while getting whatever algae remains, and if not a new tank, clean the sand bed in the process.

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my theory i may have found out. This dry rock was in an aquarium than dried out. And was put into tank without a full clean and also the sand.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is about 4 months old. 4 fish 14 corals a cucumber an emerald crab and a fire shrimp

what type of alage issue and what were you doing (if any to deal with it)

It's a new tank which will have different approaches than a mature tank

what test kits are you using for NO3 and PO4. Let's nail down the accuracy of the reading

if correct. you NO3 and PO4 export/uptake is not sufficient.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back