Zoanthids melting and sky high nitrates

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but a RIP Clean takes days to go correct
No, more like hours. Drain all water and hold fish and corals for a little bit, blast rocks off to rid of detritus, spray peroxide to kill any algae, rinse sand Thoroughly, then add rock, sand and then fill up. Then add fish.

@brandon429 may have some other steps to add but im pretty sure I covered it.

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, more like hours. Drain all water and hold fish and corals for a little bit, blast rocks off to rid of detritus, spray peroxide to kill any algae, rinse sand Thoroughly, then add rock, sand and then fill up. Then add fish.

@brandon429 may have some other steps to add but im pretty sure I covered it.
Rinse with RODI water? And peroxide 4:1 ratio?

Slim64684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you had everything planned out and ready, new water containers for everything you could complete it in less than a day. I'm not positive, just speculating. I'll know for sure this weekend. I'll be doing a tank upgrade, new water, new sand switch.

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read you remove all your live critters and coral into buckets with air stone in another container you remove a bunch of your tank water when it's low enough that it's starting to look yucky leave that bit in the tank, shake / blast rocks and put in a separate container with enough tank water to cover put air stone in with rocks and let it bubble with airstones more airstones is better here.... Back to the tank, scoop out all the sand and put it in a 5 gallon bucket or random containers. you want to Clean a little at a time/ or all at once in a 5 gallon bucket but don't over fill the bucket only about 1/3rd full take out back and full blast it with a garden hose... Agitate with lots of water dump water off the top and continue that process for maybe 20 min or until water you are dumping is clean and clear. Shop vac gross stuff left in tank, shouldn't be much, scrape wipe and razor blade everything clean. A nice wipe down with clean rodi or saltwater and shop vac up there will only be little bits of yuck. Add back clean sand, you can do an additional rinse in saltwater but it should make too much of a difference just make sure the sand is only damp try not to add too much tap water.... Check rock with bubbler see if your rocks have kicked out a bunch of crap, shake rock in water... Get a head lamp and go over your rock (I use a small Tupperware and a container with 2parts water 1 part peroxide then use ONLY what you need on the Algae, a syringe or small turkey baster is good, squirt scrub with old toothbrush, rinse in old tank water, place in tank do this with all the rock, add what water you think you can save and fill up the rest with nice clean new water, match Salinity temp and alkalinity as best you can everything live can go back in the tank and admire your new tank....

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brandon's method retains the bacteria on the rock. No cycle
You can always add some extra bacteria from a bottle if you want but it's should be easier on your tank after the clean than leaving what good bacteria you have to be over run with detritus

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I had 30 gals rdy so I did a good syphon on the sand. From how dirty that was around the major rocks that I moved. That RIP Clean maybe where I go. I will keep posted on if nitrate or phosphate changed much

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think You should go back 1, 2 and 3 months to figure out whats going wrong.
What we know is that You have fed the tank more than that is gone away with water changes and the growth of animals.
We also know that the algae grow more than they are eaten.
To kill the algae on the stones does not help in these problems.
You need massive water changes to get nitrate and phosphate down and You need a cleaning crew or the algae will come back. They will grow even if You have very low values. The difference is that the corals will do much better.
Hydrogen peroxide works wonderful but if You rip off most algae and add the cleaning crew they will take care of the rest.

You must change Your rutines so You dont build up such values any more.
These emergency actions are not good for the animals.
Good luck!

OP
OP
TripleTruble

TripleTruble

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so after last nights 30 gal syphon of sand my nitrates still high but my phosphate is now reading normal numbers. Could tell a change when I got home from work and there was no film on front glass

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back