Zoanthus growing on silicone seams

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What once was a small patch of zoas has now become a large patch of zoas on my bare bottom 100g. They have made their way to the silicone at the edge of the tank. Are there any concerns with them growing on the silicone as far as the integrity of the silicone? Is there a way to safely remove them? Are there any concerns with toxin release if I were to 'cut and peel' a line of them to keep them from continuing onward? I'm fine with them on the bottom of the tank (no coralline to scrape)...just looking for ways to contain them. Thanks for any insight!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What once was a small patch of zoas has now become a large patch of zoas on my bare bottom 100g. They have made their way to the silicone at the edge of the tank. Are there any concerns with them growing on the silicone as far as the integrity of the silicone? Is there a way to safely remove them? Are there any concerns with toxin release if I were to 'cut and peel' a line of them to keep them from continuing onward? I'm fine with them on the bottom of the tank (no coralline to scrape)...just looking for ways to contain them. Thanks for any insight!
I dont think there would be an issue with the integrity of the silicone. I would think if you frag them correctly it wouldnt release the toxin, however not sure how you could get them off the silicone without cutting it, that would be a problem then

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back